Friday, December 22, 2006

Yes, I'm Ready for Christmas

Every year it's the same questions leading up to the big day: Are you ready for Christmas? Have you finished your shopping? It's a lot easier for me to just say yes than to explain that I don't celebrate Christmas and I actually do very little shopping.

Just this morning as I was feeling that awful compression that comes with a mammogram, the technician was trying to make small talk to distract me from the unpleasantness of the whole procedure. She told me in great detail about her final trip to the mall just in case there was one more present to buy. GROAN – please just let me breathe and make this machine let go of me!

Even as I got my teeth cleaned on Wednesday, the hygienist told me the details of her last-minute shopping and her anxiety over whether AMAZON.COM would deliver on time.

At one time in my life I too was caught up in this list-making and trips to malls with angry scenes in the crowded parking lots. But I can truthfully say I have not been in any mall since Thanksgiving and I'm probably a lot better off for it.

Here's the sum total of my shopping this year: I bought my friend Reya a kipa and a mezuzzah at the Judaica shop of Temple Micah. I bought Quentin a bottle of Belgian ale so he can continue to maintain that layer of "padding" that helps him in his PT practice. My daughter got a gift certificate to REI for Hanukkah. My son got an interest-free loan to tide him over until he starts to collect a paycheck as a lawyer in California. My husband and I didn't give each other gifts, opting instead just to light the candles each night of Hanukkah.

I love the fact that when I leave work today, I won't have to come back until Tuesday. I love the fact that my husband and I will join up with our good friend to go out for dim-sum (with the Asians and all the other Jews) on Christmas day and then we may take in a movie. By that point, the whole world ought to be sighing a big relief that they all made it to THE DAY, where they gave, received, and ate turkey. But some of them will already be worrying about the returns and looking ahead to re-gifting opportunities.

So, yes, I am ready and I am finished with my shopping. I'll just leave it at that.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Chimay
I think I may,
enjoy it today.

You know, not 'cause I need a drink like that, it's just one of those sacrifices I make for the sake of the patients. Loved the card too...

4:35 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I kind of hate the receiving (with a passion) but I love the giving, having license to give. I buy presents for friends year-round but this gives me the freedom to be as generous as I want without offending anyone.

But, again, I hate the receiving. And the music in the stores. And malls in general. And parking lots. And all of the freaking "events."

Wishing you a happy and peaceful end to Hanukkah and a lovely long weekend.

5:02 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

This post expresses my sentiments to a tee-besides the mammogram part. :)

Happy Holidays from a Jew who doesn't quite get the Christmas frenzy thing.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Quentin -- I love the fact that you are such a self-sacrificing PT! Hope you did enjoy the Chimay and that you saved some to enjoy another day. I do appreciate all the help you are giving me. I'm learning so much about myself and my ability to change old patterns after so many years.

Kristin -- I do actually love to buy presents for people, but much of my giving is more spontaneous and not geared to a particular holiday. I have nothing against receiving either!

Kassy -- Happy last night of Hanukkah! I just made my latkes and they were delicious. Time to clean the wax off the menorah and put it away for another year. Check out this story about Hanukkah from Matt in California.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I do everything later than most people. Family tradition. I'm ready for nice days off and movie watching.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy I'm done with work until Tuesday. I think on Monday, before driving down to see my parents, I'm going to drive through the Hunt Valley Industrial Park and marvel how fast it is to get through when there's no traffic ...

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next year I will forego the Christmas frenzy altogether and celebrate the solstice. My grown children and I will exchange a single gift of homemade food or perhaps a writing or book that will provide illumination for the dark days of winter. The grands will still have their Christmas, of course, and as I have always believed in Santa, no doubt there will be a toy and a book from me in his sleigh, but I anticipate a calm and beautiful, light-filled time next December.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

After 50, no one should be required to shop unless they feel like it.

How about the new CIA movie? Can't wait.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I've been festing already with friends over for dinner on my B-day, out to lunches and exchanging presents with about 7 people already so yes, I'm in the mode!
I love giving best...there's such joy in it, especially when you know it's so appreciated.

I still have to brave the grocery store in a few minutes...yes, I know...in my recent post I said THAT was the last trip! The beat goes on!

Have a great holiday and Shine The Light!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home