Thursday, February 22, 2007

And the Walls Come a-Tumbling Down

Since mid-morning we have gotten increasingly serious messages concerning the safety of the garage connected to our new building. Although there was never a statement of the problem, the messages progressed from:

– Move your car if it's on the 5th (top) floor of the garage to
– Move your car if it's on the 3rd floor or higher to
– No one can drive into or out of the garage to
– No one can walk through the garage to
– The PG Fire Department and the press are now on the scene.

Well, the cat's out of the bag, but what sort of cat is it? There was still no mention of the nature of the problem.

As I ventured out of my office to go to the Health Unit for an allergy shot, I asked a stranger on the elevator who said, "They found a crack in the concrete support for the 4th floor of the garage."

Oh. So now I know.

What will this mean for me? I now have to park outside half a mile from my building? I need to constantly worry that the entire garage structure might collapse? The garage might collapse while I am in my office, thereby demolishing my 1991 Honda and the US Government will buy me a new car? Highly unlikely.

Oh, and yeah, the same company built the 8-story office building in which I work. Wonder if it has any cracks...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Egad. That's just frightening. When, exactly, did you plan to retire?

4:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

This story only gets worse! They have declared the garage "uninhabitable" and will not let us get our cars out to go home! I am a prisoner of the Federal Government. And I thought things couldn't get any worse...

4:21 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Smells like new car to me!!!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Smells like new car to me!!!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

Sure, the government'll protect us from terrorists, but who protects us from the government?

7:32 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Ditto what Ulysses said!

arggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Kristin, I think it's another sign from the universe saying, "Time to retire" :-)

I tagged you (or whatever you're supposed to say). See this post

10:57 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

All signs point to GET OUT. What are you waiting for??

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home