Saturday, July 21, 2007

Making Memories

This year’s Chautauqua experiences have now become memories. It’s hard to believe the week is over and we are headed back home.

I have a great new soft green sweatshirt to remind me that it was unseasonably cold this year. Nothing I brought got as much wear as that sweatshirt.

Here are some of the things that got filed away in the memory stash:

-- Cabin #61 where I spent many hours practicing. Its light never worked and the two windows were propped open with sticks when it wasn’t too cold. The mirror was cracked. But the Kawai piano was fully functional and always in tune.
-- Eating every meal outside on the front porch of our house as we watched the local residents pass by on Miller. Some were on foot, some on bikes, some on motorized carts. There were even two little westies who rode in a push cart. I will not forget my dread every time I saw the ambulance after they carried away our neighbor across the street who died of a stroke.

-- Getting coached by Arie Lipsky, an animated cellist from Israel, who headed up the adult chamber music program. The hour or so he spent with my two groups made it worth the trip.
-- Riding my bike everywhere and knowing it wasn’t even necessary to lock it. I always carried a plastic bag to cover my seat in case of a downpour. Yesterday I had to figure out how to ride my bike in the skirt that I wore for our recital – that was interesting.
-- Performing the two adagio pieces while thinking about Mrs. Lynch, our neighbor that died. They weren’t perfect, but they were performed with love for this woman I never had the privilege of meeting.
-- Enjoying some of the best free music I have ever heard: including 12 celli doing Villa Lobos’ Cantilena and 22 violas (with other instruments) performing the Brandenburg Concerto #6.
-- Packing up and saying goodbye for another year, thinking about all the things I intended to do and never got around to doing.

There will be other years to play music and to explore the wonders of Chautauqua. But now it’s back to reality. What will I do differently back home? I’m determined to either walk or ride my bike every day. My back and neck pains are gone after this week of activity and diversion. It’s always nice to have a change of scenery if just for a week.

This bumper sticker caught my eye on the way home on the Pa Turnpike. It says "Well-behaved women rarely make history."

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I had that "bumper sticker" motto on my desk at work. It gave my colleagues a chuckle every now and then but I BELIEVE IT!

So delighted to have read about your experience this past week. Thanks for sharing it.

Hugs

1:29 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I already miss many aspects of Chautauqua. It's hard to come back to reality.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I love Villa Lobos! That sounds awesome.

Glad you're home safe and sound.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I'm already thinking about next year. As much as I complained about all those opinions, I miss getting up to coffee that someone else had already made.

8:47 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I thought of you yesterday listening to Garrison Keillor on the radio...he had a guy with a 450 year old Cello on the show. Seems the Cello was actually rebuilt back in 1801... they added a 4th String to it as it only had 3... and not much has been done to it since. Pretty effn amazing.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Thanks for taking us to camp with you.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Yep. Pretty effin' amazing!

Kristin -- Glad you came along for the ride!

3:44 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I've always loved that bumper sticker. My motto-" Always give 'em something to talk about"

Sounds like a great week. Thanks for sharing it. You guys go every year?

9:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- I was wondering where you had been! And yes, we seem to go every year. In fact, we are probably going to make it a 2-week trip next year. One week is just enough time to get settled in and then you have to leave.

10:58 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Awww! Was I missed? I was in Houston last week for a conference. I'll post about it soon- it was pretty crazy!

Always a line for the computers in the business center- so couldn't really leisurely read blogs.
But, I am now and making up for it.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home