Friday, November 16, 2007

Launching a Business

I just realized that in all the years I have been sewing and making things, I have sold very little and never to strangers. Tomorrow will be a first if I am actually allowed to set up my little card table at Eastern Market.

I have spent the week getting ready for this beginning, while attempting to entertain two out-of-town guests. I now have business cards (see above) and a name for my fledgling business, although it is not copyrighted. I have a sign with prices and a small inventory of things to sell. Here are some samples:

Doorknob covers for Christmas and Hanukkah. I learned how to make these when I was a 10-year-old Girl Scout. But are they still in vogue after half a century?!

Sachets filled with either lavender, balsam fir, or rose petals.

Napkins for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I have convinced myself that tomorrow is a win-win situation. If no one buys anything, I can spend next week reading Harry Potter #7 instead of replenishing my inventory. If by some miracle I were to sell out, I would be in the same shape as my business partner, who has sold all her photos and can only join me for moral support and coffee tomorrow.

I have never been behind the scenes at a flea market to see how it really works. I’m hoping for camaraderie with the other vendors, good food and hot drinks nearby, and a perfect fall day. I suppose too I am hoping for people with some money to spend who will recognize the time I have invested in making the things I have for sale.

If this initial attempt proves successful, I have ideas for new things to make: lavender-flax-filled eye pillows, bread basket liners, maybe even small purses.

I also have this idea of doing something that might allow children to decorate an item, like one of the doorknob covers. Parents always love to display something their children helped to make.

But today is only speculation. I will have to tuck my camera in my bag for tomorrow so I can give you a full report on my first day at the market.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh! good luck, good luck! you'll have a great time, either way. love the business card and name. can't wait to read the report!

xx
red

10:47 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

How could anyone resist the charming items you have made? I certainly would not be able to! I am also anxiously awaiting pix of my favorite market in the world, I think.... Eastern Market on Saturday...

10:51 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Good luck! I have one doorknob in my house and it will remain naked but oh, those lovely napkins! You've inspired me to get out my little Featherweight and use some of that material stored in boxes under my bed! Can't wait to read how you did at the market.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I will definitely be one of your customers today, also your gopher (will bring you hot coffee, food, or sit at the table while you stretch your legs.)

I thought about the eye pillows, too, first thing this morning!

See you soon!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

Wish I could wander by your table, stop and say, "Wow! Awesome work." And then load up my arms with your handiwork. Good luck. You won't need it!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I wish you a successful and fun time.

I just hope, that should this be successful, that you will continue to do it because you enjoy to do so, not because you feel compelled to do it.

12:47 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

As I type this, you are probably in the middle of your enterprise! I hope it was a resounding success!

I did a Christmas Craft Fair for a couple of years! It was one of THE most enjoyable things I have ever done! Hope yours is too.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home