Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Do-Re-Mi


Should I feel fortunate or cheated for not having to play scales until I was 59 years old? My new piano teacher is a firm believer in scales, promising that the mastery of the basic scales will cure all my piano-playing ills.

It sounds easy enough. C major: play every white key up and back for 4 octaves on a metronome setting of 72. NOT! First of all, the fingering is important. But your left hand has a different pattern of fingering from your right hand. It’s sort of like walking and chewing gum at the same time.

Successful piano-playing seems to be about training your fingers to remember how to repeat something with less and less reliance on your brain for direction. Does that make any sense?

I’ve been dutifully playing scales every day, using the fingering indicated in the Hanon book (The Virtuoso Pianist). I’m nowhere near 72 on the metronome and so far my fingers are not terribly reliable at their job of remembering.

My next lesson is on Thursday, so I’m hoping for some scale breakthrough before then so I don’t look like an old fool to my yet older teacher who can play scales with her eyes closed I’m sure.

But whether I succeed at scales or not, I think this teacher is going to work out well. I arrived to be greeted by a large Obama sign in her front yard. At least our politics are the same.

She was just pulling up as I knocked on the door, having alerted an older gentleman (who turned out to be her husband) to watch for me and tell me she was on her way.

She came in and made herself a chicken sandwich while she listened to my piano history and before any notes were played. I could see that the formality of my last teacher was totally absent, a good sign.

I played a couple of pages of Grieg’s Wedding Day at Troldhaugen. That was enough for her to note the tension in my shoulders. But she also noted that I know how to pedal and I have a good sense of rhythm.

She decided (probably wisely) to steer clear of the chamber music, letting Bill handle those lessons. Instead she will work on purely piano pieces with me.

She dug out an ancient book of Chopin mazurkas and told me to work on #45. What a luxury – a beautiful 2-page piece that I can actually play pretty well by now.

My new goal in taking lessons is to get help in choosing music that is within my reach, that I will delight in playing every time I practice, and that will help me work on avoiding injury to my aging body. She has an additional goal of teaching me a lifetime of music theory in a short time that will help me understand why I’m playing what I am.

Let’s hope I can achieve all of these goals because I think Anadel is a keeper of a teacher and she’s a good 12 years older than I am.

11 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

Well Barb, I won't pretend to be able to teach piano, but i have the biggest recorder you everseen in your life.
Iwas hoping to graduate to a Bagpipe like my nephew Davy at dave mows grass, but that hasn't happened yet so there are no complaints from the neighbors yet either.
But scales-man scales are what its all about! you've said before that you don't have mush talent at playing by ear...I bet workin' the scales will help you with that.
I find scales to be incredibly fascinating, especially the Arabic scales and this...
http://www.joelmabus.com/mabus%20wheel%20of%20fifths.htm

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Barbara,

Your new adventures with piano sound exciting. Enjoy the Chopin and your new teacher. You'll master the fingering with time and have fun meeting another new challenge...

Your still-sick friend at the end of the nation...

11:37 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

She sounds like a keeper, as my kids used to say! When we were young piano teachers seemed to be the torture masters, but as we age such teachers should be there to bring out the best in us and it appears you have found the woman who will do that for you!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm so impressed that you're going back to the fundamentals. It sounds like you're learning so much!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- There is no guarantee (or even suggestion) that scales will enable me to play by ear. I wish! I'm afraid I am always going to be needing the music.

Anon -- It sounds like I should know who you are. But I can't figure it out. (The end of the nation has me scratching my head.) If you are indeed a friend, send me a clue at barbara.diskin@verizon.net.

Kate -- Yes, I'm looking forward to my lesson this week. You would really love this woman. A keeper, indeed!

Kristin -- I keep singing "Let's start at the very beginning..." It is a very good place to start!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Sounds like you've got a good teacher there! C major is actually the most difficult scale to finger correctly because there is no topography of black notes - you can't tell immediately that you've messed up the fingering. If you divide the octave into chunks of fingers and thumbs, which is known as "blocking", you can really lock in the fingering within each octave. Another way to make both hands feel more alike as they play single notes is to look at the pattern this way:

1 2 3 12 3 4 1
1 4 3 21 3 2 1

Notice that the 3's are always together and you have that pairing of 12-21 in the middle of every octave in addition to the thumbs together on C. And you always have a 4 on either side of the thumbs on C. Also the pattern is a mirror image from one hand to the other (just like your hands are). You probably already figured all of this out though! There are other tricks which I'm sure your teacher will show you if she thinks you need them. But some people don't need tricks to learn the C scale, they just need mental concentration and practice : )

3:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I hadn't been so analytical yet. Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to think about this as I practice today. I can use all the "tricks" I can get!

I'll bet you were (are) a terrific piano teacher!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I wish I could play piano. I took lessons when I was a kid, but I never practiced. :(

4:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- Your suggestions helped so much. Just to remember that 1's and 3's always line up makes all the difference in the world. For F major, I noticed it's 1's and 4's. Tomorrow I will tackle a new scale now that I'm figuring these out.

Steve -- You practice as an adult because YOU are paying for the piano lessons and there is no one to make you feel guilty if you don't!

4:52 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i used to play piano and guitar at school, but haven't touched either in such a long long time...

but i think if i'd had any particular ability, i'd have come back to it before this stage in my life.

it must be very satisfying for you to be learning and improving and enjoying this so much

4:19 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lettuce -- I'm convinced that it's never too late. If you enjoyed playing instruments when you were younger, perhaps you should try again.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home