Sunday, October 19, 2008

Dim-Sum Homestyle


Saturday’s new crate brought with it another vegetable I had probably eaten at dim-sum, but never bought or attempted to cook. A baby bok choy peered out at me and just begged to be cooked.

Not having a clue about this green vegetable, I Googled and found a recipe for which I actually had most of the ingredients. Enjoy the fact that I am providing quantities and I pretty much stuck to the amounts indicated, although I profess to pouring in the glaze ingredients because I was too lazy to look for measuring spoons. On second thought, I read the measurements but didn’t really follow them.

Soy-Glazed Baby Bok Choy

1 T. sesame seeds, toasted
1 T. lemon olive oil (the recipe called for peanut oil, but I don’t use peanut oil these days)
1 pound baby bok choy, ends trimmed, chopped coarsely

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
2 green onions, chopped (I used sweet yellow onion instead)

Glaze
1-1/2 T. rice vinegar
1-1/2 T. soy sauce
1 t. sesame oil
½ t. sugar

Toast the sesame seeds in a dry non-stick skillet until golden. Set aside.

Add the oil to the skillet and heat on medium high. When it’s hot, add the bok choy. Brown for 3-4 minutes. Remove bok choy to a bowl.

Add the garlic, ginger, and onions to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute or until onions are translucent. Add the glaze ingredients and cook until just beginning to thicken, about 1 minute. Return the bok choy to the skillet and cook for a minute or two, tossing with the glaze. Remove to a serving platter and top with toasted sesame seeds.

This was one of the best investments of 20 minutes I have ever made!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two posts on a Sunday morning by eight. All I can say is "yum yum!" I feel nourished just reading your photo enhanced recipe blogs. Thanks!

9:30 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

yum this sounds like a wonderful way to prepare baby bok...it actually looks quite transferable to other veggies.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LR -- I must confess to being fast asleep at 8 am today. Blogger offers the possibility of pre-posting with a "release" time!

Mouse -- I think cardboard would actually taste good coated in soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and a bit of sugar. The garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds enhance the flavor also. Seriously, most any vegetables would work!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Mmmmm... I'm going to have to make mine soon. Looking forward to it!

9:34 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I love Bok Choy, baby or otherwise.
Good in a Stir fry and I lso like to just cook it up like it was Turnip Greens.
I'm a BokChoy Boy.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- I think of turnip greens as cooking forever. Do you cook bok choy that long, too?

11:31 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

nO, YOU DODN'T NEED TO COOK THEM AS LONG AS gREEENS...AND HEY SURE ARE EASIER TO CLEAN.

ooOPPS! There goes that capslok key again. I'm back!

1:16 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i think this must be the same as the veg. we call pak choi

its great with sesame oil!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lettuce -- I think I could just eat sesame oil by itself and love it. It makes everything taste so good.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home