Sunday, October 19, 2008

Not Your Traditional Stuffing


We are definitely eating a greater variety of food as a result of participating in a CSA program. By the end of the week, I am most interested in getting rid of any remaining veggies from the previous week in order to make room for Saturday’s new crate.

As I looked at the bright red peppers and inventoried what else I had on hand, it seemed they were destined to be stuffed. With what? Well, how about curried rice?

I refused to Google stuffed peppers, not wanting to know what ingredients I might be missing. Instead I simply invented this recipe:

Sweet red peppers, tops and seeds removed
Brown rice
Broth (I used chicken, but it can be any kind)
Lemon olive oil
Onions
Garlic
Golden raisins
Pine nuts
Sweet curry powder
Cinnamon (mainly because it appeared in the list of 11)
Ground cumin
Salt
Pepper
Garlicky bread crumbs *

Cook rice in broth. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over moderately high heat. When onions are translucent, add raisins, pine nuts, spices, salt, and pepper. Cook for another minute or two. Remove from the burner. When the rice is done, stir it into the curry mixture. Fill the cavity in each pepper completely. Top with seasoned bread crumbs.

Wedge into a baking dish that will hold the peppers upright. Add water to a depth of about ½". Cook at 350 degrees until the peppers are done (turning very slightly brown) or about 45 minutes.

* Cook a minced garlic clove in a small amount of olive oil. Add bread crumbs from a fresh baguette, salt, and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until the bread crumbs are golden brown.

I’m sorry to be so noncommittal about amounts, but I didn’t measure a thing except for making sure there was twice as much broth as rice!

Note: Photos are before the peppers were cooked!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

beautiful stuffed bell peppers! You know how often we have stuffed bell peppers at our house (at least one week a month). I whack off the tops and shoulders and stuff with ground turkey and rice. When they are on sale I will use the green bell peppers, but really have a fondness for the red ones which have more vitamin C.

Stuffed bell peppers are great because you make them and then shove them in the oven until it's time to take them out in all their baked goodness. Nice and warming for the Fall!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love stuffed peppers! I haven't done them like this but usually with beef mixed with rice. My bparents have always done them with savory bread dressing/stuffing and it's a great dish to serve with poultry or pork.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly, MOI -- My first thought was rice and ground lamb, but there was no ground lamb to be found in my house, so therefore they were meatless. The Indian spices made up for the lack of meat!

10:46 AM  
Blogger e said...

Wow! A great meatless recipe and beautiful peppers. Thanks for sharing...Your creations make my mouth water!

Thanks for your help with SD.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- I hope we can make some progress on your SD inquiries, but don't hold your breath...

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home