Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Westward Ho


It was a day of driving and knitting as we covered the 700 miles between DC and Chicago. My biggest revelation was I knit as unconventionally as I hold chopsticks.


We were unprepared for the blizzard of Pennsylvania and Ohio. No one came prepared for snow.


The first-shift driver took some well-earned R&R as we started our first book. Gary’s suggestion “Follow Your Heart” was indeed the perfect movie for 3 old romantic mothers on a road trip.

As soon as the sun was up, I started casting on and relearning how to knit. I have this very unorthodox way of propping one needle in my lap and moving only my left hand as I slowly add another row of stitches.


The Chicago skyline was a welcome sight. The only difficulty we had all day was trying to find KC’s daughter’s house after we got here. We finally found her jumping up and down cheerleader style on a street corner while she waited for us with her dog Diesel.


We’re a little bleary-eyed as we try to figure out the plan for our first day in the Windy City. At least it looks like we left the snow in the East.

10 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

glad you made it safely to the Windy City. got milk for those cookies?

6:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- We're getting directions right now for going to the grocery store. We joked that some of the elephant trunks were missing because they had been shot off by Sarah P. My friend KC is such a talented baker, isn't she?

9:09 AM  
Blogger A Concerned Citizen said...

Glad you made it safely and hope you have fun. I will live vicariously through you on this trip b/c I absolutely love the Windy City -- I actually pondered moving there once.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool cookies. I think I counted more Obama than McCain (or shudder Palin), so that's a good sign! So, how many hours was the trip? Did you get thru only 1 audio book? Guess you have a lot of listening to do on the way home!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'll have a blue-state cookie, please. :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I love the pics and am sooo glad I don't live in Ohio anymore. It just looks miserable!

10:12 AM  
Blogger e said...

Glad you made it and will enjoy Chicago before it snows there. I just trundled A to the vet with an eye infection after coming from the docs with an ear problem...Eat a blue-state cookie for me!

1:43 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Glad you made it there safely!!!

I have already sent in my ballot... so I am feeling good and enfranchised these days (even though my vote won't be counted for several days after the election).

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Yippee! I am so glad that you not only got the book but also enjoyed it. I think it is a very moving story that has stuck with me for the past 10 or so years.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home