Monday, October 27, 2008

Missing Monday's OM

I never thought I would miss down dog or plank or lunges or sun salutations as much as I do. It was Monday night and I was supposed to be at yoga, but my yoga studio is no longer. So I sat in Deborah’s kitchen twirling spaghetti on my fork when I would otherwise have been settling into my 6:15 class.

Capitol Hill Yoga, which was once Dancing Heart Yoga, had been in existence for probably a decade when it closed earlier this month. It is going to reopen in a different location in a couple of months, but right now we are in a hiatus of no yoga.

I tried another class last week. But it just wasn’t the same. Many poses went beyond the level 1 that I am most comfortable with and I started watching how good everyone else was instead of concentrating on my own practice.

I am such a creature of habit. I love my teacher’s approach to yoga. She’s soft-spoken and can lead a fairly strenuous class, but she has a touch of playfulness that makes it fun to stretch and hold and even do lots and lots of down dogs.

I’m comfortable with the routine of my usual class. I’ve actually come a long way in the 5 years I have been practicing yoga. But there are always poses I need to work on.

I’m trying to decide how to continue my yoga practice during this in-between time. I might take a few private lessons with my usual teacher. I may shop around just to see what else is out there. I may even try a daily practice on my own down in the basement.

But I will definitely come back to Capitol Hill Yoga when it reopens in 2009 at 641 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. Meanwhile I am missing my teacher and the group of friends I have made over the years as we OM’ed together on Monday nights.

8 Comments:

Blogger e said...

Hey,

Between one thing and another, I fell away from yoga. Now with my knee problem, I don't know if I can ever go back.

You mentioned your basement. Is it big enough to hold your teacher, you and the cadre of regulars you miss? If so, think about offering the space to your class as an alternative. You might not meet weekly, but you would still have contact and together time...

Just an idea...

9:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- Even if my basement were big enough and not loaded with things having nothing to do with yoga, I am the oddball who lives nowhere near Capitol Hill, so absolutely no one would want to come to class at my house. Another teacher is having class at her house in the interim, but my teacher is taking a break from formal classes.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm so sorry about the disruption to your routine. I hope you find something between now and the reopening and that the new year and the new studio bring pleasant change.

10:02 PM  
Blogger e said...

I too am sorry for your change in routine. Perhaps a better alternative will present itself with time...

10:48 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin, E -- Actually sometimes a forced break in anything makes one appreciate it that much more! I'm fairly sure this will be true with yoga as well.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Think of it as an opportunity to snap your practice into some other realm...even if that means just practicing in your basement. (Do you have a yoga tape or some kind of guide you can follow?)

10:12 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- That's exactly what I should do. I do love being directed, but someone on a CD could give me the generic direction. We'll see. I'm sure I'll report back to you who care how I handled the break, even if I am a very lazy yogi for a couple of months.

10:28 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i hope you manage to find another class

i have a brilliant teacher and would find it hard to adjust to someone different (who would SURELY be less good??)

but harder to give it up completely

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home