Friday, December 05, 2008

Catastrophe

Pompeii and the Roman Villa at the National Gallery of Art was especially meaningful since we visited that part of Italy earlier this year. We were in Herculaneum and Oplontis, places that provided artifacts to this exhibit.

My friend KC and I went through the Museum of Antiquities in Naples, which houses undoubtedly the greatest collection of the relics from this era. But I was pleasantly surprised at how well curated the current exhibit at the NGA is. The movie gives everything a touch of reality that sometimes didn’t come across in the museum in Naples. Instead of being overwhelming, the current exhibit dwells on the villa itself, the home of the wealthy at the time of the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD.

The wealthy were a very privileged society who had the time to collect and care about fine art and jewelry. The nature of the disaster preserved much of that era completely as it was on that fateful day when it seemed that all hell had broken loose. Only centuries later would the modern world unearth the remains of such beauty.

I couldn’t help but compare our current society to those living in the first century. We certainly have our collectors of fine art who live in lavish houses in McLean, Old Town, Kenwood, and other prestigious neighborhoods in the metropolitan area.

I couldn’t help but think of the prediction just a few days ago that we would likely be subjected to a biological disaster before 2013. If such a thing actually occurred, I wondered how well the mansions of the wealthy and their inhabitants would be preserved for future generations to study.

I couldn’t help but wonder who might take the place of Pliny the ancient historian to record the disaster as it claimed its victims and made time stop for those in its wake.

The remains of 50 people wearing their finest clothing and jewels who were found in the front room of the villa at Oplontis reminds us that we could find ourselves in a situation where there is no escape and our material goods are of absolutely no use.

9 Comments:

Blogger Squirrel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I have the usual crap in my house (microwave, tv, laptop) that would make the people of ancient times wonder (at their ugliness perhaps?)

no valuables besides my wedding band and a heart shaped vial necklace that holds perfume. I've had these for decades, so the value is mainly sentimental.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

2013 is just a little too soon for me, do you think we could reschedule for say, 2033?

11:29 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

There is a song by Trout Fishing in America called "The Last Days of Pompei" and if you couples todays post with yesterdays, the corus seems fitting for you barb

"on the last ay of Pompei, I thought I heard some poor boy sing
'Oh wow man, wish I knew then what I know now'"


He says he would have lived a crazier life, taken that cruise, eaten more exotic foods.
doing things hat YOU DO Barbara!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like a great afternoon at an interesting exhibit. You never know what'll happen, so live for today and plan for tomorrow.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- I too have very little worth much in my house. Instead of 2033, how about NOT AT ALL?! The world is shaky enough without some nutcase trying to kill off a large population.

Bulletholes -- Exactly my philosophy: live for today because who knows what's coming tomorrow. I wish you lived here. I would drag you around to so many things you probably wouldn't want to see or do.

Kristin -- The nice thing about going to a museum that's part of the Smithsonian is that it's FREE! I can go back and take someone the next time and perhaps remember to bring my $5 in cash so I can rent an audio guide!

7:09 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Barb, you would have to carry me. In the midst of all that history, I would be an emotional wreck,
I would give great big gasps at the Washintioon and Jefferson Monuments, swoon entirely in front of Congress, and the Library, and at the lincoln memorqail and the Wall,. i am sure I would require as Bambulance.
They'd have to bury me at Artlington.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I guess nuclear disaster is the 21st century's answer to volcanos - isn't that a lovely thought?

I visited Pompeii in 2005 - it's kind of spooky there isn't it? I felt like I was trespassing on sacred ground. It was absolutely amazing. Also amazing were the lemonade stands that featured lemons the size of grapefruits hanging on display.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- My worst fear is that our water will be laced with something that kills us SLOWLY! Ugh! There are too many bad ways to go. Maybe the quick blitz of a bomb is better?

As for all those places claimed by Vesuvius, yes, they are simply amazing today. You have this feeling they could come back to life as you walk down the well-preserved streets.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home