Friday, January 30, 2009

Adaptation and Rediscovery

There was no doubt that life would change dramatically after my accident when I was allowed to go home. My worst fear had been that I would exist sitting in a chair downstairs or lying in bed at night to sleep.

When my condition at the hospital seemed so grim, I even had thoughts of putting a hospital bed in our dining room and/or buying a recliner, something we’ve never felt we needed. I also had great concerns about toileting and showering, things that are a necessity. I thought we might need a chair or bench for the shower.

But this is a case where procrastination paid off. People loaned us a motley assortment of toilet seats (to raise the seat level) and walkers and we bought a pair of crutches.

From the get-go, the walkers seemed rather unwieldy, needing so much space, so I moved on to crutches and now to a single crutch.

One of our dining room chairs with arms is where I sit when I am downstairs and I feel like sitting. I’m actually quite mobile with my single crutch. And having a hand freed up allows me to carry a cup of tea to the table or my dirty dishes to the sink.

And I’m becoming more and more independent. I managed finally to unpack my suitcase that I had taken on the fateful night of the fall. I made my own breakfast yesterday. I’m up and downstairs a few times and I sit at the piano and play for an hour or so each day.

But perhaps the biggest change is moving more or less to my husband’s schedule for life, which has always been a couple of hours later than mine. I have learned to be a night owl and to sleep in in the morning. We share all three meals together, something that hasn’t happened in many years. I have learned to enjoy a movie and to split a smoothie with him late at night. It’s almost like we go on a date every night!

Sexy scenes stir something in both of us that must wait a while, but at least it’s still there. We’ve always been compatible, but this accident has really pulled us back together in a very positive way.

It will be interesting to see what happens when I am freed to really be on my own again. I can imagine we might want to keep some of this new-found togetherness.


Blogger tut-tut said...

It's hard following someone else's schedule after being so independent. I'm impressed with your daily mediation on your improvements.

10:06 AM  
Blogger wordwitch said...

B. - you have it SO much better than I did...I wasn't allowed to put ANY weight on my leg (or even toes!) for 10 WEEKS...Nor was I able to bend the leg at all...This severly limited my mobility, made my muscles shrink and atrophy, and really caused stress when sleeping, showering (I had to have C. help me till I could bend the leg to reach my toes!), and sitting. You have my envy, my dear.


1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that your glass-half-full attitude is one of the reasons you're healing so well. And an hour a day at the piano is healing in and of itself!



2:02 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Ah, newfound togetherness! It's good to have a nice side effect of your fall. Sounds like you're doing very well!

2:44 PM  
Blogger e said...

I am happy to hear that changes have been so positive for you both! It was also good to hear how much stronger you are in your voice. You are amazing. Stay well.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Who would have guessed that such a gray cloud would come with such a shiny silver lining? Good for you.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I'm impressed with you too, your upbeat attitude has helped heal you faster. Many happy "smoothies" to you two.

7:53 PM  
Blogger karen said...

great to hear of all the improvements... keep up the great work!

3:56 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

one crutch already, thats pretty amazing
and finding your relationship is gaining from all this - quite wonderful

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home