Thursday, January 29, 2009

Begging to be Invented

I’m convinced that the best inventions for people who are in some way disabled are probably by people who share their disability. I’m starting to come up with some things that need to be invented.

My crutches have become my constant companions since I sort of skipped the walker phase of recovery from hip surgery. When I stand at a counter or sit at the table I need some place to safely park them. In several instances they have fallen over, striking fear in my husband in another room when he heard the crash.

I haven’t quite come up with the answer, but what is needed is a crutch hook or a big clip of some sort attached to the crutch which would allow it to be safely secured. This would save coming up with an ingenious way to fish it off the floor with the other crutch or a reacher.

The second thing that begs to be invented is a truly portable toilet riser. For a long time I am going to have to sit on an elevated toilet in order to keep at least a 90-degree angle in my right hip joint. Low chairs and toilets are a no-no. This makes going places outside my home difficult.

I have a 4" white thing that sits on top of a toilet, but it would be unwieldy and embarrassing to carry around. What I’m looking for is a blow-up seat that could quickly be inflated and deflated to hide in a small bag. No one would ever need to know.

I haven’t been able to find either of these things on the Internet, but if you have seen them anywhere let me know. Meanwhile maybe I’ll get into the invention business!

10 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

An inflatable neck pillow is sort of the right shape, but not quite the right size.

You could get some blocks of rigid closed cell foam and velcro them together. It wouldn't weigh anything, but you'd have to carry it around in a backpack.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

You could earn a small fortune with those inventions, albeit it would probably be a slow burner!
And have a limited user market.
x

10:34 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I think you are onto something. A fold-up model. Hmm...

Fire Byrd -- At this stage of my life, my goal would not be to make a fortune, but rather to solve problems for people who are in the same predicament I now find myself!

11:24 AM  
Blogger dennis said...

Dennis hopes you mend fast and get past needing things like this. Dennis says you are lucky to have so many friends & loved ones nearby to show their love -- their kindness & devotion to you.

1:59 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

A Guitar Strap...wear it over your back like Elvis....
Ummm...Elvis the Pelvis!

I got the same word veri as yesterday!

3:53 PM  
Blogger e said...

I think you are highly creative, and will find what you need. Let me know if I can help.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Necessity is the mother of...right?
Or, rather, it's one of the many mothers of invention! :-)

I'm surprised no one has come up with the crutch clamp -- maybe an inventive type will see this post and develop one! In the meantime, do take your usual care as you retrieve your occasional fallen crutch!

F.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Necessity might be the mother of invention, but didn't she already birth something like these?! I don't know where to find crutch clips or a portable seat, but I'll keep an eye out for you.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

You may be on to something with the invention theory. I have a friend whose parents have one of those toilet seats and it is so uncomfortable. My feet don't even reach the floor when I sit on it. So, perhaps an adjustable blow up version would be even better (since we are putting in orders).

You seem like you are doing well with the recovery. I am still a bit shocked by the whole thing to be honest. I hate that you went through all of this.

10:26 PM  
Blogger karen said...

poor you! how amazing.. to think of what you need to be mobile! hope that time just flies, until it's over... xx

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home