Thursday, July 02, 2009

Food and Family


We became a family foursome again today when I picked my daughter up at 6:15 a.m. at Dulles. It was a wonderful day of reconnecting.



We went to Lickety Split at Restaurant Eve for lunch, where for $13.50 you can sit at the bar and choose ANY two items on the very extensive menu. We all ordered something different and shared with each other. My favorites were the home made gnocchi and the Irish BLT.



My daughter offered to go read at the shelter with me tonight. She quickly fell in love with the 10 kids who showed up to read books about books and libraries. The little 4-year-old troublemaker with a mouth sat in my lap for much of the hour, telling me I should have named my daughter “Brown Eyes” instead of Rachel. The kids decorated notebooks so they could use summer time to write their own books.



Tonight we had an impromptu dinner that my daughter and I cooked with whatever we found in the refrigerator. I made lentils with carrots and Balsamic vinegar and zucchini with mint. My daughter made roasted carrots and lemony pasta sauce served over penne with freshly grated Parmesan. I remembered how much fun it is to cook with someone. As I write this, my husband is making fruit smoothies for dessert.



My daughter has already made a valiant effort to go through a lifetime of collected stuff in her room. I hope her efforts are contagious and my son takes the hint.

But meanwhile, we’re taking a movie break to watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Jake is exhausted from an early morning trip to Dulles and dividing his attention between his various family members.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post warmed my heart, Barbara! Welcome "home" to "Brown Eyes." Hope you have a great few days all together.

XO,

F.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Hopefully you will meet me and my family one day. By then we will be old friends in so many ways.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

What a delicious sounding day! Now I'm hungry again! That's so nice that you have your entire family there for the 4th of July.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'm sure Rachel is glad she isn't named "Brown Eyes." LOL!

Have a great family gathering. The food looks wonderful!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Oh! Isn't it fun to be with family, cooking, working and talking, endlessly talking? Lucky you! Have fun with those kids - they are gone again way too soon.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Enjoy the weekend with your family.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Am in California but opted to stay at a motel that is right down the road from my younger son Adam and his family. Tomorrow I pick up Jonathan who flies down from San Francisco for the 4th! We too will all be together for bbq and the fireworks. It will be nearly 4 year old (7/10) Esme's first experience with the fireworks. We will troop down to Torrance beach where we will be able to view fireworks up and down the coast! Am delighted to be here with them all.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a wonderful day with your family and what a wonderful family! Your daughter's just lovely.

3:07 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

"do you remember when we used to sing
"Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-lala-lala-tida"?

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home