Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Beyond tired


I don’t know what’s worse -- a hangover or the day after taking a redeye flight. Both seem to have that dull headache and brain fog that makes thoughts go in slow motion.

My daughter had persuaded me to take the Super Shuttle to the airport instead of struggling with public transportation. I got there in plenty of time and was feeling ready for bed when we boarded the plane at 11:45 pm.

I do sleep on planes, but it is definitely not the same quality sleep that a bed provides. It seemed like I had just put on my eyeshades that we were landing at Minneapolis three hours later.

I must say the Minneapolis airport is well designed for people with disabilities. But as I sat in the waiting area for a ride, I saw cart after cart go by with no empty seats, so I decided to tough it out and walk to the gate for my next flight. It was a very long 15 minutes.

The plane home was not full and I probably could have snagged three empty seats and really crashed, but I didn’t have the energy at that point to move out of my seat. I had a glass of OJ and a cup of coffee, the sole sustenance provided by Delta on my trip home. But the caffeine seemed to have no effect and I walked off the plane a zombie.

I managed to flag down a shuttle to Long Term A and then drove the hour home, actually arriving at the CSA site to help assemble bags.

By this time I was running on empty and not being terribly nice to family members. Hopefully a good night’s sleep will make up for the sleep deprivation I am dealing with right now.

I’m not sure I left my heart in SF, but I really did have a good time. Now it’s time to get back to reality.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Welcome back. Traveling is indeed exhausting. I sometimes feel like I need a vacation from my vacation but have wised up and allow myself a few days at home before I need to do anything else.

I'll have to catch up with your blog in the coming days. I have been away from the blogosphere for a while but think I am getting back into the swing again.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

trying to sleep on a plane sitting up with your knees under your chin is a form of torture...

glad you're back and that you had a good time.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

You can disrupt many of my routines, but not my sleep. I get cranky. Glad you had fun.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Barbara! I hope you sleep well tonight.

F.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home