Saturday, November 14, 2009

Just Another Saturday


I haven’t much to say today.  Just a quote used by our rabbi Danny to open the Shabbat morning service at Temple Micah.

From Alice Walker, author of “The Color Purple”:

“Tell the truth, have you ever found God in a church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for him to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God.”

This is so true for people attending most any gathering in the name of religion.  We did a lot of musical sharing today, which is about the closest I ever get to finding God.  Our other rabbi Esther addressed the bat mitzvah girl’s question about how God can sanction our killing of animals for food.  I learned a lot, but I’m not ready to become a vegetarian, not just yet.

A 20-something mentioned having found my Blog.  I always want to say that I’ve never been hiding it.  I always find myself going over all the most recent posts hoping I haven’t said anything offensive or inappropriate.  It’s somewhat strange to think of writing to an audience that is forever changing.

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Whatever you wrote, I'm sure it was true for you at the time, and if someone else finds it offensive that's their problem! :)

It is cool when people find my blog, though a little unsettling, too. I recently posted one of my blog entries on my Facebook page for the first time, thus revealing its existence to all my Facebook friends -- relatives, high school friends, etc. I thought long and hard about that one! But then I figured, what's on there that I wouldn't want people to see? Nothing!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Funny - our thoughts are following the same path (you'll see when you read today's post). I agree with Steve. What people find offensive is theirs to deal with. And whose audience isn't forever changing? Isn't that a good thing?

9:22 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

I never found God in church, so I stopped going. I do miss the music though.

I struggle with whether to write something that someone might find offensive, then regret censoring myself. My favorite bloggers don't worry and write what's on their minds, but I worry about my family's chagrin.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm re-reading "The Way We Pray: Prayer Practices from Around the World" (by Maggie Oman Shannon), a user-friendly survey that reminds me that everything can be prayer, just as G-- (or whatever you sense is More-than-You -- All-That-Is?) is everywhere. Thanks for the Alice W quote.

Happy Sunday!

F.

2:38 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I hadn't been for a few months but I went to my old Sunday scholl class the other day. Told them i now had 480 days clean and sober. Lady there said
"Jesus already took care of that at the cross for you"

I don't know what thats supposed to mean. This is why I don't go very often.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I find God outside. It's a good thing I walk so much - I have plenty of time to commune.

You write thoughtful posts. I'm sure the 20-something wouldn't have brought it up if offended.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home