Friday, June 11, 2010

Blowing Off Steam


Families are somewhat like volcanoes.  Much of the time they lay dormant or produce a low rumble.  But every now and then they erupt.
As the words flow like hot lava, you wonder when it will be over.  And finally when it is calm is restored.
I think I once heard that the ground is much more fertile after it has been singed by molten lava.  And so it is with families.  The release of tension and anger brings on a new level of understanding and willingness to get along.
We’ve weathered a recent eruption and I feel much better about the future as a result.  I continue to learn important lessons about respect for the individual.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

It's true. I'm not a fighter, but I do occasionally fight with both my mom and my brother, who are my closest relatives. Somehow it's an essential form of communication. Go figure!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are certain types of trees whose seeds can't release and grow unless heated by fire -- a form of botanical alchemy. Some relationships need the alchemical fire of confrontation to transform into something different and better.

F.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I`m glad it cleansed and you learned from it. Some fights can also destroy much. If you watch the line, it can be a good thing.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Family's hard. We say more to each other than we'd ever say to strangers.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home