Saturday, June 12, 2010

Cushion Covers Again


It is clear that the flowered window seat cushion covers are not going to go well at all with our new family room furniture, which will have a lot of color of its own.  So it is once again time to recover those cushions.  
It’s not a particularly fun sewing job, but one that will save us hundreds of dollars.  I can cannibalize certain things, like zippers, from the current cushion covers.



The hardest part of this job is the prep.  Finding the right fabric is never easy.  This time I found a solid dark teal at G Street, which was half the price of anything else I saw.
There is a whole lot of cutting out before any sewing can begin.  Every one of those 20 pieces must have the edges overcast so they won’t ravel.  I must cover around 90 feet of cording with strips of fabric cut on the bias to be inserted in the seams that attach the top and bottom to the sides of the cushion covers.  



The actual construction goes fairly quickly once all the prep is done.  I’m hopeful to have clean, new cushion covers by sometime early next week.
Then I can move on to a job that might actually allow me to trade cushion-covering skills for piano lessons.  More to come on that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

good for you for tackling the job. I never liked that kind of sewing - the tedium made me feel like flying to pieces!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Tedium is an excellent way to describe it. Those cushions are the kind of thing that will never be consciously noticed unless I do do something horrendously wrong in the construction. In the midst of a project like this I hear Robert Frost "miles to go before I sleep."

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope someday you can meet my friend A. You have much in common: former employer, piano, cooking, and there doesn't seem to be a home project the two of you can't handle with aplomb!

I bet that teal fabric will go great w/the new room colors.

F.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow, that looks like an intense project. I admire you for taking it on! I'd probably just leave the old cushions and hope no one noticed. :)

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home