Sunday, July 04, 2010

July 4th back in time


Some things never change.  Like July 4th in my sleepy suburban neighborhood, which always has an afternoon parade followed by water games and a potluck dinner at the community pool.  





When our children were younger, we wouldn’t have missed it for the world.  We thought about patriotic costumes and even dressed our dogs up to walk in the parade.  It was always pushing 100 degrees so the popsicles at the bottom of the hill were a treat.








Here’s a page of July 4th from 25 years ago.  My nurse-to-be and lawyer-looking-for-a-job were so young and innocent as they sported their red, white, and blue.  I had bangs and big glasses, but otherwise was much the same as I am now as I pushed the stroller along in the neighborhood parade.





Those costumes were recycled through the neighborhood in other years, but I always have to smile when I see these pictures of my children wearing them in that bygone era.

8 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Nothing like a walk down memory lane. I wouldn't go back, but I like to look back now and again.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love these photos! (Seeing your old haircut, I teasingly ask again: do we get to see the new one?)

My partner and I are just about to head out to the neighborhood July 4th celebration -- parade, singing of songs, recitation of the 13 colonies' names by schoolkids, hot dogs from the local butcher...all this in a highly urbanized and self-proclaimed progressive city. Very cool!

F.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

Barbara, what fun it was to see the parade photographs from '85. I could see my children and was reminded of their costumes that year and remember your children's costumes vividly. Today's neighborhood parade was livelier than last year's but still smaller than in the "olden days". I did enjoy the two boys who fashioned a Mount Rushmore costume and the dad who was dressed appropriately in aged copper green and carried himself as a fine Statue of Liberty. Happy 4th to all!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Cool photos

11:52 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

look at you! look at them! How cool is that. I miss the neighborhood parades and all the kids getting so excited. my grandfather's birthday was 4th of July and for years I believed him when he said all the hoopla was for him!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What great pictures (and memories). Thanks for sharing them!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

awww...that's so cute!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Awesome pics! :)

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home