Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer Camp Again








We're in nirvana in Western NY once again. Chautauqua is just as lovely as ever. Our house at 31 Miller is the perfect place to watch the world go by. I'm out on the porch under our waving flag.

We did the trip in about 7 hours, with some serious road work frustrations along the way. But when we drove through the main gate, all those frustrations slipped away.

One of our first tasks was to rent bikes. As I got on my Giant bike with a woman's frame, I remembered I hadn't been on a bike since breaking my hip. Would I even still know how to ride? But I'm happy to say it all came back and it felt so good to just coast along.

Some of my housemates went to see the opera Norma at the amphitheater. My husband and I decided to forgo the opera and just hang out on the porch. Later tonight we'll watch a movie to get him ready for his screenplay class.

I'm signed up for 8 hours of practice time in cabin #59, now air-conditioned. I'll also be taking Scrabble every afternoon. My only homework was to bring a Scrabble board, which I managed to forget. Hopefully instructor Edley will have a few extras.

Part of the charm of Chautauqua is the sounds. You can hear the birds. You can hear children laughing on the big central green. You can even hear the bugs, lots of them, rubbing their wings or making their bug noises.

I'm so glad to be back for a week in this special place.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Wythe Ave,Mayville,United States

6 Comments:

Anonymous lr said...

Have a great time at camp!!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That place looks heavenly!

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippee!!

F.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Have a great time! I'm so glad to hear that riding a bike really is just like riding a bike.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Looks terrific! Maybe you can buy a portable Scrabble set if need be.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous lr said...

Barbara, I do hope you get a message that you have a comment, even when it's weeks earlier. Robert and I spent the nights of August 6th and 7th in Boulder, CO. We discovered Colorado Chautauqua. This morning we had a delightful walking tour of part of the campus and hiked part way up the path to the Flat Iron Mountains. If you're not familiar with this area of the country, we HIGHLY recommend it!

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home