Tuesday, July 13, 2010

(Another) Top Ten/Hundred



I wonder how many people actually use Money Magazine’s list of the top cities when they decide where to live?  What always surprises me is the fact that every time such a list is published, it’s a DIFFERENT set of cities than the last time.  This year’s winner was Eden Prairie, Minnesota.  (I ask myself what it’s like in the middle of winter.)
I thought I had read recently that Arlington, VA, was the top-rated spot for raising a family.  And yet the only local city listed in the new top ten list is Columbia/Ellicott City, MD.
Granted you can look at statistics -- crime, student test scores, temperature extremes -- but it’s still very subjective, especially when you consider how many cities there are in the US.
I actually love where I live.  I don’t even live in a city, but rather I live in a very diverse Northern Virginia county.  I can find most every kind of ethnic food within a few miles of my house.  I can be in downtown DC in 15 minutes.  I can be on a major bike path in 5 minutes.
Sometimes I wish I could walk to everything I need like the people on Capitol Hill can. Sometimes I wish I could make better use of public transportation.
But we have neighborhood friends who have lived here for 30+ years as we have and we are all accustomed to the quirks of the area.  We can easily afford to live in our house, which cost $80K in 1977.
The bottom line for me is it would take a lot more than a survey of top cities to entice me to move.  

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I've been in Eden Prairie in the middle of winter! I am NOT moving there. There is more to life than Money (Magazine). The American Planning Association picked my neighborhood as one of the top 10 a couple of years ago and I'm sticking with that.

9:31 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

Clearly your criteria is different than Money Magazine's criteria. I say Amen.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Clearly these surveys appeal to a narrow group of people. They don't sway me either.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing to be content with where you live! And I know you -- you'd do something about it if you weren't.

A year and a half ago, I moved from a city where I'd lived for eleven years (but never once felt at home) back to a beautiful neighborhood in a great city. I'm still pinching myself.

F.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home