Monday, July 12, 2010

Looking Forward to Chautauqua


This Saturday we head up to Chautauqua once again.  Instead of intensive chamber music, I will be playing some each day with my friend Deborah and others, but I will also be enjoying some of the many things I have missed in other years.
I signed up today for a class in their “Special Studies” catalog:
1111  Scrabble:  Play by Play
Laura Klein and Joe Edley
How does a champion think?  We’ll take you into the mind of an expert and teach you play-by-play how to become a winner.  We’ll discuss a variety of skills while enjoying the f un of actual game play.  Geared toward beginners, intermediates and experts alike.  Please bring a Scrabble set.
Maximum enrollment: 20.  Minimum age: 12.
Week 4, July 19-22 / M - Th / 1:30-3:30 p.m. / Hultquist 201B
My husband has taken two classes from national champion Joe Edley, so this course comes highly recommended.
I will also be attending the morning lectures on the theme of week 4:  Nuclear Energy.  Experts from around the country will give us something to think about.  This time during dinner discussions I will be able to weigh in more effectively since I will have heard what everyone else did.
I will still enjoy all the music offered throughout the week by chamber groups and the Chautauqua Symphony Orchestra.
I’m planning to rent an old-fashioned woman’s bike for the week.  Since I haven’t been on a bicycle since breaking my hip, this seems like the right way to resume something I’ve missed so much.
Over the next few days I need to make a run to Costco and communicate with my fellow housemates as we determine who’s bringing what.  As Deborah reminded me, we never starve.
I’m really looking forward to this week of relaxation and stimulation and camaraderie.  Chautauqua never fails to enrich my life. 

6 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That sounds like a really pleasant and relaxing week. Tell Deborah I said hello!

12:04 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I've always enjoyed you Chautauqua posts - I learn some new things, too!
Have fun!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I just listened to a piece about summer camps on This American Life. Your time in Chautauqua always reminds me of that - summer camp - and how much I loved and miss it. Have a great week!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds so fun, Barbara! Have a wonderful time.

Every summer I teach at a performing arts camp for families; I'd love to ATTEND such a place some year, so I'll really enjoy hearing about your experience! (A Scrabble class -- yes!) Gonna go Google your camp now...

F.

12:12 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

I hope you don't become a u hoarder. Have fun! :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

This sounds like so much fun! I hope you share your Scrabble tips.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home