Sunday, July 11, 2010

Eternally Grateful


I sometimes take it for granted that I live with someone who makes my computer life so easy.  It’s like having customer service 24x7.
My electronic life has gotten increasingly complicated now that I own an old (G4) Apple laptop, an iPhone, and an iPad.  It’s important that they talk to each other so when I delete a mail message on one the other ones know about it.  
On our recent trip I was having an annoying problem with not being able to send e-mail messages from my iPad.  I could read books to my heart’s content, but mail was definitely not right.  I was also having trouble transferring photos from my phone to the iPad.
My Apple expert had reconfigured my iPad within an hour of our getting home so that mail worked properly.  He also let me know that you have to take the iPad cover off for the camera cable to go in properly.  I give him credit for telling me that without including “you idiot” under his breath.
The problem du jour was the fact that my phone continued to show yesterday’s inbox despite the fact that I had deleted or moved all of those messages elsewhere.  He spent some time reading up on this and it is now fixed as well.
The downside is that I have become increasingly dependent on my free accessible tech support to the point where I know very little about how all this stuff is configured and how it really works.  
As long as I don’t stray too far from my current set of apps, I’m fine.  But I’m already wondering who is going to do my troubleshooting when I go to Thailand with my daughter in August.  I seriously doubt Apple support is in Brock’s tour guide job description.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

I've never tried to travel internationally with my computer or phone. I just rely on Internet cafes or whatever I can find in the country I visit. It means less posting, but also less to carry.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I've had the same email issues with my iPad.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a wonderful problem to have - you have someone to fix the troublesome bits most of the time.

Like Steve, I'm less likely to take my computer or phone with me all that much. I tend to rely on internet cafes, which help me feel like I've actually gotten away. (I have trouble unplugging at home.)

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home