Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Thai train




Although the train to Chiang Mai left over an hour late, it was actually pretty impressive. It was clean, there was toilet paper, and they brought around food. Here's the view across the aisle from me last night.




We rode past lots and lots of rice paddies.




We arrived around noon and in the absence of a car from the Parasol Hotel, where we are staying, we took public transportation which is like a covered pick-up truck with two benches.




We had a typical soup of the north for lunch, which hopefully we will learn how to make in our cooking classes.

Since it decided to rain hard his afternoon, we all opted for a Thai massage, which is unlike anything I have ever experienced. It's a lot of stretching and deep tissue work with the massage therapist on the low bed with you. She uses no oil or cream, but a lot of pressure. The strange thing is you wear clothes they provide, so there is no need for draping. The cost for an hour was a little over $6. Totally amazing!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Phra Pok Klao,Sri Phum,Thailand

7 Comments:

Anonymous Craig said...

Your travel posts are great. Keep them coming. Having been to Thailand once before, you are seriously increasing my desire to return. Tell Brock hello for me. I've known him and his family for about two decades.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The train looks so much better than the ones I've taken while traveling the past couple of years, and everything else just sounds fantastic. A Thai massage? That's the way to travel.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm Brock's MOM and I want 2 of those massages every on my trip. Love your blog!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's every day!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Oh man, I wish I could get a massage for $6 here!

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Brock said...

Dear Mom: You are supposed to comment on MY blog. But here is fine too- you can have as many massages as you want when you come.
Brock

12:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Carol -- When you come make sure Brock takes you to the second massage place in Chiang Mai. It's well worth $8!

Your son has been a terrific tour guide. He's perfectly comfortable talking about literature, food, or just about anything else we have thrown at him. I'm so sorry we are now on our last day.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home