Monday, October 04, 2010

The Myth of Spontaneity



I would like to think of myself as being spontaneous, ready to turn on a dime to meet up with a friend, take in a museum, paddle around the Tidal Basin.  But unfortunately I have too many things on my calendar (my week in blue above) to be able to pull this off very well.
That’s not to say I can’t easily be persuaded to change my plans.  I once had a friend who would call me up and say, “Why don’t you just blow off yoga today and come have dinner with me?”  And inevitably down dog was traded for a glass or two of sauvignon blanc and some gourmet food.
Just this past week I was bemoaning my lack of spontaneity to my piano teacher, who even in her late 70’s said most of her friends were either working or taking classes and were just never available.  Since then we have been trying (unsuccessfully so far) to find a time to do something social together.
I have concluded that to be truly spontaneous I would have to quit making plans ahead on my electronic calendar.  Instead I would get up each day, check the weather, perhaps read the newspaper, and then decide what and who should occupy my day.  Probably not very practical in this world we live in, where virtually everything gets scheduled before it happens.
Maybe in my next life I will learn the true meaning of spontaneity...

8 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I think you are right. Planning ahead limits spontaneity. Spontaneity for me happens in little ways but it does happen -thank goodness.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

A little of this and a little of that. Seems like the secret to me.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

There are good and bad sides to both, I guess. Having a structured day helps you get up in time and get necessary things DONE. But looking at the weather and calling everything off to have a picnic with a friend sounds very tempting to me! So, Barbara, how about a quick sunny walk to the beach and a fish bread roll from the Schwartz Brothers and then sitting on a bench, overlooking the sea? Today? Right now?

5:34 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Angela -- You're on. I'll be right over! You can explain to Jake why I'm not making his dog food this morning.

8:49 AM  
Blogger e said...

The spontaneity of life4 is a bit eclipsed by my use of public transport and because I use a wheelchair, this requires booking in advance. This makes me miss the days I could simply do something on the fly...

6:00 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I think Merle's right, as usual. There's a balance in there somewhere!

The only place I keep a calendar is at work, and there it's an old fashioned paper one. Which makes me quite the dinosaur.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not the only paper-calendar dinosaur, Steve...

F.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops...meant to also say that I have a little thing I do -- in almost every performance I do something "unexpected," to keep myself in the moment, creating from Essence, and on my toes. A way of manifesting spontaneity. It can be very scary!

F.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home