Sunday, January 15, 2012

Call Me a Snob


On my daughter’s recent visit she labeled me a food snob because I tend to make everything from scratch these days.  I confess to being guilty as charged and have no regrets.
My tendency not to purchase processed foods -- not even things like chicken stock or bread or hummous or yogurt -- might explain why I end up with not a lot of spare time.  Convenience foods and ingredients are designed for just that -- to let you use your time in other ways.
I have recently gotten into making stock from things like chicken necks and feet that would otherwise end up in the garbage.  My house perpetually smells of onion and garlic, but I could think of much worse “fragrances”.  Today’s pot happens to feature chicken necks.
For lunch I made hummous from some chickpeas I had cooked a few days ago to go into soup.  I like the fact that I can completely control the amount of garlic, lemon, salt, and hot sauce that go in.  I added some ground cumin that turned it into a regal lunch.
We all decide how to use our time.  And this may be a passing fancy.  But I rather doubt it because I like this homemade-from-scratch food and I like the idea that it contains no artificial preservatives or other weird ingredients.
I could think of much worse things to be called than a “food snob”!

6 Comments:

Blogger e said...

You're right, and it is also a great way to control grocery costs. I wish I knew more about :scratch" foods.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

I applaud you "food snob"

It's wonderful that you are cooking from scratch!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I save ALOT of time with my new pressure cooker. I like to make things from scratch, mostly because everything tastes too salty to me.

The new electric pressure cookers aren't as scarey as the one my mom used to use... and they have brown and simmer features that make cooking with them a breeze (once you get them figured out -- took me awhile to understand some of it's features).

Out here in California, we wouldn't call you a food snob, we would call you a "foodie".

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't seem snobby to me about your food choices (maybe your daughter sees something different). Making stuff from scratch has nothing to do with snobbishness, in my opinion. Snobbishness is an attitude manifested in certain interpersonal behavior. You wanna see food snobbery, I can take you to it next time you visit! :-)

F.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I wouldn't say you were a good snob - I'd say you were just plain smart to make your own food from scratch. Given how many poisons lurk in packaged and prepared foods, you're way ahead in the fight to stay healthy.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I agree -- "food snob," in this case, is a compliment.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home