Friday, December 02, 2005

A Welcome Word

BENIGN. What a nice, it-won’t-hurt-you word. A word that becomes especially important as you wait for the results of a biopsy to come back, when it could just as easily be the M___ or the C___ word.

When the surgeon pronounced the word BENIGN yesterday about the nodules in my thyroid which was removed last week, I breathed a sigh of relief and realized how very much I like benignity. It’s like saying, “I'm really squeaky clean.”

We uncorked a bottle of sparkling champagne with good friends last night and toasted to my good health and our collective friendship.

3 Comments:

Blogger DC Cookie said...

About 8 years ago, my mother became a worrisome, neurotic bitch for about a week. She would yell at me at the drop of a pin. I hid in my room and avoided her, figuring she was having a really bad case of PMS. After the week was up, she told the family over dinner that the doctor had called and the small lump in her breast that he found was benign. It was the first I'd heard.

I couldn't believe my mother had gone through the fear of something that big alone. I hugged her for almost an hour and told her never to keep something that scary to herself again.

I would toast for you too, but I'm still hungover from Wednesday...

5:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

That period of not knowing is really hell. I have had a lot of experience waiting and it never gets any easier, especially when my husband often forgets to worry with me. My children don't worry because I think it hasn't dawned on them that I might someday die. I'm not usually a bitch, but I would really welcome a lot more hugs during those times. I always hope this is the absolute last time I will be waiting for this kind of news.

It sounds to me like you are a good and supportive daughter. Thanks for sharing. I wish you a biopsy-free life!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Great news! You knew it, too, right?

BRAVO!!

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home