Sunday, December 25, 2005

What Do Jews and Asians Have in Common?

Christmas Day dinner. We went to Fortune with our friends and neighbors, as we have for as many years as I can remember. Fortune is a HUGE Chinese restaurant that seats probably 400 people. When we arrived at noon, the wait for a table of 8 was 40 minutes. The sea of faces were mostly Asian, interspersed by Jewish families.

The lunchtime menu is dim sum. Cart after cart comes by, pushed by small oriental women who are barely understandable. My challenge today was to find something to eat, since I am on a low-iodine diet. This means no shellfish and no soy sauce. That cuts out 90% of what I normally eat at Fortune. I realized how different everything tasted without soy sauce.

It’s hard to spend more than $10 per person on dim sum. Sure enough, when the check came it was $80 for our whole table. We were totally stuffed on dumplings, pork buns, duck, broccoli, and pineapple buns as we headed off to see The Family Stone, following another Christmas Day tradition.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamy said...

That's great! I was right across the street at the Eden Center. It was an (almost) all Vietnamese crowd and me. Perfect.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home