Monday, April 24, 2006

Not Every Book Is a Winner

This is the April selection for our couples book club. One of the best things you can say about the book club is that it has enticed me to read many things that I would not have looked twice at otherwise. However, I am having a hard time figuring out what attracted P to this book.

My husband and I helped start the book club 9 years ago. We’ve come to realize that some books are better than others, and some are definitely worse! Among the real duds are “She’s Come Undone” and “The Charterhouse of Parma.” This month’s selection may make it into that list.

I’ll be curious to see what everyone else has to say when we meet on Sunday night. I will try to think of a tactful way to describe my (negative) reaction to the book. I will never forget one meeting long ago when one of our members who is no longer in the club blurted out, "There was not one good word in the entire book." And this was in reaction to "The Sheltering Sky" by Paul Bowles, one of my favorite books. Obviously not everyone sees these things the same way.

Have you read this month's selection?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Have you read it?", you ask. No. I have not. Unless you share some positive reactions from your book club, I'd definately not waste my time. What are some of your favorite books? Why? FL

6:52 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Golfing with God?? Yikes.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

FL -- Here are my 10 favorites, in no particular order:

Sacred Hunger
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
Jitterbug Perfume
Crossing to Safety
Fifth Business
The Piano Tuner
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night
The World Is Flat
Atticus
The Sunflower

Reya -- Exactly! The author portrays God as sometimes a man who looks like Moses and sometimes a woman who is young and beautiful and dripping with diamonds. The common theme is that God is looking to the protagonist to fix his/her golf game. The author calls upon every trite description of God and heaven to carry a story line that isn't going anywhere, or at least not for me.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

That sounds terrible to me and I'll read just about everything down to the back of a can of Lysol. I do love my book clubs, though. They expose me to books I wouldn't necessarily choose and provide viewpoints I wouldn't have considered.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home