Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Sew On and Sew Forth

I spent a lot of time today on projects for family members. I designed and made my daughter a purse and I solved the problem of my husband’s defective Eddie Bauer jeans with their missing belt loop.

When I was in Boston at my daughter’s graduation, she admired my purse (which I had made). We seldom have the same taste in clothes, so I was delighted when she said she would like one of my purses.

I have spent a lifetime designing and making things, starting when I was turned loose on the sewing machine at 6. I hated playing with dolls, but I did love to sew for them. So my dolls languished in style in smocked dresses and fur capes.

When my son was born, I stupidly thought I could make all of his clothes. This didn’t last long when I realized how unexciting it is to sew for a boy and that I could buy most things cheaper than I could make them.

When my daughter came along, another story. She loved fancy dresses with matching hair bands. I made ballet outfits for her and her friends. I made Halloween costumes. I dressed the cast in the school plays.

I have made things for myself over the years, but lately they have been more in the category of accessories. For some time I have been intrigued by quilted purses and all the possibilities they offer to combine fabrics and ribbons in a unique design with each new creation.

The purse I made for my daughter has a bright green interior. It has two outside pockets and 4 small pockets inside. It should go with lots of things since there are so many colors. (That's an actual picture above.) I’ll ship it off tomorrow and hope she likes it.

My husband recently presented me with a really odd repair project. I could hardly refuse since he is my constant source of technology help. He realized that a new pair of jeans was simply missing a front belt loop, somewhat essential to keeping them up. In looking through all the denim that I possess, I found lighter shades and darker shades, but nothing that would work. I finally woke up today with the idea of cannibalizing some fabric from somewhere inside, like the little piece that sits under the zipper and voila! a new belt loop was born. It looks reasonably like the others and will definitely do its job to keep his pants from falling off.

Sometimes I love an afternoon like this one that is so different from my usual Tuesday afternoon pace at work. It’s fun to be creative for people who are important to you!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamy said...

I can sew a button on and that's about it. I have a couple of medium-sized projects that I don't know how to tackle because I don't own a sewing machine. I don't know how to operate one either, so maybe it's just as well! I'm impressed with your skills!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Wow! I didn't know you were so crafty! I am not in the least but do appreciate that trait in others. My mom sewed all our clothes and hers too, even smocked dresses! The leftover material became doll clothes too.

Your daughter will cherish her purse and may be surprised at how soon she receives it!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

My mom made some of my dresses, and everyone loved them. I have some handy friends who sew like nuts and it's a good hobby to have. You can really get by well if you sew. And dance. But that's another story.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I used to sew all the time, it was the only way to get new clothes in high school. I do repair jobs only for gambling money. I prefer cross stitch, silk ribbon embroidery, crochet, beading, polymer clay & breaking into card making.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel's purse looks fantastic. I have one that I cherish. It gets LOTS of compliments. You are SO talented, in so many ways. FL

1:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- I would love to see a pic of little Velvet in a homemade dress!

OL -- I made most all of my clothes from the time I was 10 until I went away to college. It was the natural progression from doll clothes. Although my parents were extremely frugal with their money, they always paid for whatever supplies I needed. I think you and I would have a lot of fun doing craft work together. Too bad Savannah is so far away.

FL -- Your purse was only my second. I learn something everytime I make one of these! I'm glad you have enjoyed it.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home