Thursday, October 30, 2008

Getting Oriented


It was a perfect day to get oriented to Chicago and we took full advantage of the nice weather.


Diesel told us all goodbye from his observation point in the living room. His two-year-old energy reminds me that my Jake is really getting be an old dog.


We managed to drive downtown, finding parking near the Navy Pier. As we walked toward Lake Michigan I was happy to put on my hat with the ear flaps, clearly distinguishing myself from my stylish companions.


While we waited for the Architects Tour boat to board, we wandered around the Navy Pier. We rode the giant Ferris wheel, giving us an excellent view of the city.


The hour-long boat tour introduced us to the variety of architectural styles that make up the buildings in this city. I particularly liked the ones that have a reflective surface.


We wandered through Millenium Park, where we encountered the giant silver “Bean”, which is a lot more fun than the circus mirrors. For those of you who delight in reflection photos, you would have been in paradise!



After wolfing down some Chicago pizza, we drove up to Old Town, specifically to visit the real Penzey’s Spice House. I love this place about as much as I love hardware stores. I am bringing home ginger nibs, turkey brining spices, pumpkin pie spice, and several other things I just couldn’t resist.


After wandering around Old Town for a while, we managed to get ourselves “home” without getting lost, where we collapsed with hot tea and snacks.


We’re gearing up for day 2, but tonight we’ll rest up as we put a few more inches on our scarves.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

What a wonderful day! The weather looks perfect and you've done so much. I'm tired just reading about it.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Beautiful photos Barbara, I can just taste the crispness in the air! We had a mountain mist today that added to the spooky feeling of Halloweeeeeeen! The kiddos are all higher than kites already, knowing that tomorrow will include costumes, candy and general merriment! Goodness, pray for teachers tomorrow!

9:04 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Sounds awesome! The weather looks perfect.
I also took the archituecture boat tour and loved it.
Great shot of "The Cloud Gate" sculpture. I took tons of shots of that as well. I kept calling it the kidney bean until, 2 years later I found out the real name of it.
Don't you LOVE Chicago????

9:09 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Chicago is one of my favorite cities! Be sure to stop at a Garrett's Popcorn for some caramel corn.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Oh man...your post is making me miss my sweet home Chicago something fierce!
Have a fantastic time!!!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I am so tired, but it is a good feeling.

Kelly -- I do feel sorry for teachers immediately before and after Halloween as the sugar kicks in. The children in costumes coming to the school across the street from where we are staying were adorable.

Gewels -- Thank you for providing the real name for the incredible Bean! I would love to go on the architect's tour again because there was so much to take in during that hour.

Bozoette -- We managed to miss the carmel corn today. May have to go back!

Mo -- I can definitely see why you liked living here. It's a great city, especially for an artsy person like you are!

6:47 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

love the reflection pics

and that bird in the flower bed - a peacock? quite fab

10:56 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I did that same architecture tour when I was in Chicago years ago -- it was really terrific. I especially loved some of the mid-century modern stuff, like Mies van der Rohe's buildings and the Marina City condos by Bertrand Goldberg.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home