Monday, June 15, 2009

Old Guilt



On Saturday my friend Deborah and I were reminiscing about the difficulties of folding children into a career and the inevitable guilt we took on as we did it. Fortunately our children seem to have survived just fine, but we both have memories of being stretched beyond belief sometimes.

First of all, there never seemed to be just the right time to start a family as I was climbing the professional ladder in my job that required me to travel internationally multiple times a year. I knew embracing motherhood was tantamount to putting my career track on hold.

I was able to work part time for 5 years, but there was still the need to travel from time to time. I would have to invite my mother to come up from Florida to take care of my family during those work trips.

When I finally bit the bullet and applied for a job that would be a promotion and would also be full-time, I got it. But the first week of my new job, my husband had a mandatory class and my daughter had chicken pox. So guess who stayed home!

It seemed that taking care of sick children was the thing we had the greatest disagreements about back then. I recall once hiring an 85-year-old woman to come to the house, only to later learn that my 4-year-old daughter had had to make her own lunch in the microwave. Talk about guilt!

I can also remember getting that call from the school nurse’s office that my child had a fever and needed to be picked up. Inevitably it was just as I was going into an important meeting.

But eventually they grew up and were self-sufficient, rarely sick, and certainly not in need of daycare. Those early days have become blurry, but I can still conjure up the feelings of guilt as someone needed me at home and I thought I was needed at work. It’s a feeling that just stays with you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

If your kids are anything like my siblings and me, they'll only remember the times you were actually there.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- For their sakes and mine, I hope you are right. We did spend some quality time together, I'm sure we did!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Our lives intersect once again. I still remember taking my 4-yo daughter for stitches in her forehead, after she tripped over another kid's foot at daycare and hit her head on the corner of a post in the playground. She's a working mother herself now and still has a tiny scar right at her hairline and I still feel guilty when I see it.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- Do you think she remembers how she got the scar? We were forced to make some difficult choices, yes? It was always such a balancing act between self and family.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Well, speaking as a latchkey kid, let me just say I'm aware I made my parents crazy, too. It would be a stretch to say I feel guilty, but I certainly remember those times my brother and I were fighting and one of us would call mom at the office for resolution. Inevitably, she'd say, "WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?! I'M 40 MILES AWAY!"

3:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- I was only 20 miles away, but I had those same calls and the same response. You feel so helpless at a distance.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

it's a sad comment on our society that mothers are forced into such difficult situations. all places of employment should provide daycare on site as part of the benefit package for those mothers who want or must work

there's guilt for on-site mamas too. you can be right next to a child and they still get hurt and you still feel responsible. my son tumbled down the outside stairs, scraping a good deal of skin off one entire side of his body. the attendant at the hospital accused me of child abuse!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Paulline -- Unfortunately the guilt seems to be mostly a mother's realm. I wonder if that will ever change.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home