Monday, June 29, 2009

Out damn spot (reprise)



Why is it we always want to find someone to blame for every bad thing that happens? Mysterious black ink is the latest unwanted addition to my house.

I noticed it this morning on the door frame to the bathroom. Then I noticed it in the grout of the bathroom floor. It seemed like indelible black ink as I tried unsuccessfully to remove it.

The cleaning people were here again. My son had been using a black pen. My husband forgets to put the top on pens. Jake occasionally eats pens lying around on the floor.

Who was the culprit? Did I dare ask for a show of hands (to look for black evidence)?

No one seemed to have any knowledge of how the black ink made its way into the downstairs bathroom, all claiming total ignorance. Jake continued to sleep peacefully.

So I scrubbed and stewed, as much at the inexplicability as at the ink spots themselves.

I’m sure there are people who for a fee will replace your old worn-out discolored grout. For a price anything can be fixed. But it hardly seems worth it to replace the grout just because of two black stains.

It’s just one of those mysteries I will probably never solve. And like the tiny flecks of scarlet dye that still adorn the upstairs carpeting, I will probably get used to the black ink on the bathroom floor. It’s just a matter of time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Barbara, when Lacey the Wonder Dog ate a black pen on our carpet, alcohol took it out.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- I'm not sure what will work on grout other than digging it out and re-grouting!

9:16 PM  
Blogger karen said...

oh no, not again! good luck :)

3:05 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Try an Acid wash on your grout....get it down at home depot. Might work, might not.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Living alone, I realize I only have myself to blame, so I've been trying to focus on the cleanup. It's hard.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Ulysses said...

It's not really that hard to remove and replace the grout. I'm sure anyone who knows how would be glad to teach you.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home