Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Double Standard



I’m trying to understand why some affairs seem so right and others seem absolutely wrong. Why should there be any difference?

I recently finished Loving Frank, the story of Frank Lloyd Wright’s love affair with Mamah Borthwick. He left his wife and 6 children to be with this woman who left her husband and 2 children. But instead of casting stones, I found myself begging his wife Catherine to give him a divorce, begging society to give them a break at a time when this sort of behavior was unconscionable. Their love simply seemed so profound that it trumped their behavior to their families. Furthermore, they never tried to hide their true feelings from anyone.

When I read about South Carolina’s governor Mark Sanford’s affair, for which he recently used taxpayer money to travel to Argentina for 5 days, I was not so tolerant. Maybe it was because he was a Bible-quoting conservative who had tried to impeach Bill Clinton for his sexual promiscuity. Maybe it was because he made a botched attempt at keeping his affair a secret, ultimately appearing like a deer in the headlights in the Atlanta airport. I could find sympathy only for his wife and children.

Why is it that one version of an affair seems so romantic and the other seems so underhanded? In both cases, I’m sure time will prove out that the participants all paid a huge price for their indiscretions. But I’m still trying to understand why I see these alliances so differently.

7 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is the hypocrisy. Of course hypocrisy is the human condition.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I think it is exactly for those reasons. When there is love,true love that came about at an inconvenient time (as in you are already married to another)I think most of us are forgiving. Like Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier. A great passion, a once in a lifetime attraction that transends all other obligations. It consumes you. That is far different than an affair that revolves around sex. In an affair of love the 'cheaters'bseem to speak well of their partners but in an affair of lust there are complaints and "she does not understand me" blah, blah - whiny BS. Aren't we all romantics afterall?

7:09 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- Absolutely. It is the hypocrisy.

Gary -- I am a hopeless romantic!

11:43 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I think someone needs a little nap-ee-poo.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Loving Frank is told from Mamah's perspective. You have to love her. I'm sure that we would feel differently if it were told from Catherine's point of view.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

It is interesting to notice such contrasts, isn't it? I'm not sure how I feel about Wright -- I don't know much about that situation -- but perhaps the biographer's perspective helped create some sympathy for him.

With Sanford, as Merle and Gary said, it's the hypocrisy. When a family-values Republican gets caught up in stuff like this, well, they just deserve all the exposure the world can throw at them. (Plus, he used public money!)

5:19 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

"Loving Frank" didn't make Frank seem all that sympathetic, but you did fall in love with Mamah and her escape from a "perfect", but constrained life. The ending was sooooo sad!

The thing to remember is that everyone is human. Humans are so imperfect! We love the imperfections of humans as long as these are endearing and not judgemental.

We can only hope that we are forgiven for our imperfections and loved for our eccentricities.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home