Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tossing and Turning



I haven’t been sleeping well for a long time – probably since about January 20 when I broke my hip. I toss and turn many times during the night trying to get comfortable. It’s finally catching up to me and I feel tired a lot of the time. I’m trying to figure out how to reclaim a good night’s sleep.

I’m what the sleep industry refers to as a “side sleeper.” I would probably not have the sleep problem if I were a back sleeper or a stomach sleeper. But as a side sleeper, there is a lot of pressure on my shoulders and my hips, and so I have a hard time ever feeling comfortable on my right side.

Yesterday I woke up with the idea of buying one of those eggcrate foam things they use in the hospital. But the more I looked at the possibilities, the more confused I became. There’s eggcrate, foam, latex, 3", 4", etc. All sorts of possibilities. If you get the really cheap ones, they tend to collapse. If you get the synthetic ones, they can smell bad for a long time.

I’m guessing this is like bathing suits and underwear – non-returnable. But even that looks variable, depending on which of the many Internet vendors you choose.

I just want the feeling I have when I’m in shavasana in water yoga. It’s a feeling of floating with no resistance anywhere. I think I could easily fall asleep and rest peacefully, but sleeping in a pool isn’t terribly practical.

So if you have any ideas please let me know. Meanwhile, I’m thinking about a Ventilated Memory Foam 3" Mattress Topper. The woman in the picture above seems to be having sweet dreams.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Maritzia said...

My sister found the memory foam mattress helped her the most after she broke her hip. Like you, she's a side sleeper, and she said it put the least pressure on her hip.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Oh sister, I hear you! We got a memory foam mattress topper--not as thick as the one you show. It is nice and helps. The other thing that helps me be comfortable is one of those wierd little pillows that is filled with tiny styrofoam pellets. I jam it under my stomache area as I lay on my side and it takes some of the weight off my hip. (I've never broken my hip, but I've had sore, achey hips for ages.) I am so accustomed to it that if I roll onto the other side I grab the pillow and reposition it in my sleep now. It has helped me be comfortable more than anything else. Cheap fix.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

The people at the Healthy Back Store might be able to give you some ideas. They sell memory foam pillows in all kinds of different shapes and sizes and you can return it if you don't take the plastic off. Just put it in a pillowcase with the plastic still on and see if it does what you need. I like the memory foam on top of a firm mattress. I've slept in some hotels that had the entire mattress in memory foam and it was way too soft and unsupportive. Hope you figure something out!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Barbara, not to be a downer, but I have a memory foam topper that is 4" thick. I don't find it that helpful. I'm intrigued by the Select Comfort mattresses, they allow you to inflate them to your liking.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Maritzia -- This is exactly what I want to hear!

Terry -- I too use an assortment of pillow props, but nothing seems to cushion my hip, where there is not enough "natural" cushion between the titanium and my skin.

Cyndy -- I love that store, but remember their toppers were a lot more expensive than the one I ended up buying.

Merle -- We already have a very nice mattress (from The Healthy Back Store) that allows you to select the comfort level (independently on both sides of the bed). I tried changing the settings on my side today and got sag instead of comfort and support. I think what I want is a fairly firm setting with a soft surface. I'm hoping the topper I ordered will provide just that. I'm really hoping they don't pay those people to give their products a good rating. The one I bought through Overstock.com is not returnable, so if it doesn't work I'm out $129 and Jake inherits a new bed for his old age.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I really don't know about this sort of thing but as a fellow side sleeper I do find that a body pillow (one of those long pillows) is wonderful because it can go between the knees (which eases pressure on the back) and you can wrap your arms around it (which must be good for something).

Good luck in your quest.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- I think I need a body pillow that is in the shape of a cocoon!

Seriously, I am thinking of one of those huggable ones. I do something similar with several smaller pillows, but it takes too much thought in the night to sort them all out when I roll over!

11:35 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I'M IN THE MARKET FOR A PILLOW WITH LEGS.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Is there someone who could give you professional advice on what might work best? Your physical therapist, maybe?

I just have a plain ol' mattress on the floor, so I'm a bad person to ask. (I like those long pillows like Gary describes, though.)

Word verification: raptor

12:05 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Also, when I have trouble falling asleep, I just follow my breathing as I lie in bed. I follow each breath in and out. I imagine my heart rate dropping. I usually go to sleep within a few minutes.

12:06 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

We have a 2" thick memory foam topper, topped by a nice thick pillowtop mattress pad on our very very firm mattress. I like it a lot!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my lower back/hip have acted up, I've found that a "knee" pillow (obtainable at a medical supply store) can help me sleep. It slips between the knees and aligns the pelvis of side-sleepers by keeping the knees approx. pelvis-width apart.

Hope your purchase works out!

F.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I've got nothing but best wishes for the one that you've ordered. I don't have any experiences with the topper but I'd take anything that would help me sleep. I'm exhausted.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home