Sunday, June 21, 2009

Nice try, but



It has become increasingly hard to buy things for my husband, the object of Father’s Day today. I thought I might have succeeded when I bought him a repackaged Kindle, allegedly from our children, Jake, and me.

He opened the box and said the right things, but didn’t take the shrink wrap off. When pressed, he said if he got a Kindle, he would rather have the Kindle 2, which of course is so new that it’s not available as a repackaged item yet.

So once again, a gift will be returned and he can then go buy what he really wants (at a somewhat higher cost).

When my daughter called, I told her what had happened and she laughed, knowing full well what a techie her father is and how he likes to be on the cutting edge of technology.

We both know that next year when Apple comes out with their version of the Kindle, one of us will inherit the Kindle 2. I’ll bet neither she nor I could tell the difference between the original Kindle and the Kindle 2.

I have to keep reminding myself that it was the thought that really counted. And perhaps the homemade card.

10 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

I'll bet Jake makes a beautiful card.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LA -- Jake suggested we repackage a used Kong, but Dan and I told him to just keep chewing on it instead.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I understand!! The new kindle will "read to you". I haven't got a kindle yet, but I am always amused when I see them being used. They are like the segways of the literary world.

I just got a piece of software that changes pdf's to mp3's. Then I can upload to itunes and burn a CD - and have them read to me from the cd player in my car. How many of those terms would you have known 15 years ago?

3:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- You are so correct that we have a whole new vocabulary that didn't exist even a few years ago. I guess that's progress, yes?

10:23 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

It was a fine gift and a wonderful thought.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

And that's why I'm sticking to books!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The thought definitely counts. Gift buying can be so hard.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think technology updating can be a form of addiction! :-) I do hope you got the appropriate props for the thought and for the card. Perhaps D felt free to share his "truer" thoughts about the gift because of the strength and longevity of your bond, if you know what I mean...

F.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

So get the guy a gift certificate and let him choose upfront what he wants. That way if the price is higher, he gets to kick in the extra amount ;)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- I could have predicted the outcome. I have lived with him for a long time now. It's really OK.

Pauline -- I view a gift certificate as a last resort! I think "the guy" enjoyed opening the outer box even though he wasn't totally on board with what was inside. I'm making sure he gets the work of returning it!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home