Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fresh Peas



I hated peas growing up. I associated them with the little cans of Le Sueur peas that were a sickly shade of green. And they were always mushy. Even recently I decided against ordering Risotto at Restaurant Eve because it contained peas!

But today issued in a new era in my relationship to peas. We got a pound of peas in our weekly CSA delivery. They were still in their shells and looked like they had just come out of the garden.

Each little pod contained roughly 6 bright green peas. It took a while to shell the pound of peas.



Instead of hiding the peas in a more complicated recipe, I wanted something simple so I could really taste the difference that fresh makes.

I sauteed them in a little olive oil, adding some shredded lettuce, lemon juice, and seasoning.

Fresh peas have now joined the growing group of vegetables that I would never have chosen to eat, but have come to love!

10 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Gorgeous. I love peas. I think I'm going to look at the market this weekend.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Waterbaby said...

I've never liked peas, but I don't think I've ever had fresh peas either. I think I will have to have my dad give me a recipe so I can try some!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

My mother always served us the green mush from a can. Once I discovered peas that didn't come in a can, I was hooked.

11:29 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

If those are Suagar snaps, you can eat them with the pod. i used to grow 'em. plant in late September, and pick em on Christmas Day.
I can't stand canned peas, but I love the frozen. like to put em in my rice, and to put them in my Baked Potato. Corn too!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

BH -- They are NOT sugar snaps. We had those last week and they were easy. You have to shell these. But it was worth it.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

I first encountered fresh peas in the pod at an outdoor market in Finland of all places. We found out that you can eat them as a snack right out of the pod - no cooking necessary!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I love peas. My family always ate the frozen ones, which weren't so bad. But I even liked the brownish canned ones, though they may as well be an entirely different vegetable!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I am still not a fan of peas when they appear as little round balls but I do love them when they are called sugar snap peas or some other peaish thing where one is inclinded to eat the pod and all.

The little round peas are only good to me when I can mix them up with other foods or put them in other foods so they are disguised. I am such a child!

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Down here in MS, you know, any thing that you have to work for (shelling,creaming,shucking,etc) tastes a WHOLE lot better if you have to WORK to get it ready to eat!!!

You know, I think my brother in law could do a water color from that first pic of peas that you posted. Permission?? Tina

1:48 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Tina -- He can paint anything he wants from my Blog!

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home