Sunday, July 26, 2009

A changing of the guard


As a child I alway had trouble letting go of a teacher at the end of the year. I was sure I could never have another teacher as good as Ruby White, my first grade teacher, wishing I could stay in her class forever. I find that I still cling to a good teacher decades later. And so it was with great reluctance that I said goodbye to our rabbi Toby when she recently moved on from Temple Micah.

I harbored a certain amount of distrust and suspicion over the circumstances of her departure and had already convinced myself that whoever took her place could never fill her shoes in actuality.

Then I showed up at Friday night services last week for the first glimpse of our new rabbi Esther. She’s 35, beautiful, and full of enthusiasm. She instantly remembered my name as she shook my hand, seeming to welcome me as much as I was welcoming her.

Her remarks on the week’s Torah portion were brief but well spoken. As we begin the book of Deuteronomy, she said that it’s all about teaching, as Moses tries to give a crash course in Jewish history to the new generation who are about to cross into the Promised Land. Just as Moses attempted to give them a religious grounding, she said our job today is to try to discover what it means to say “I was at Sinai” when in fact none of us was there. The challenge is to make the Torah’s story our own.

There’s a certain essence of Toby that will never be replaced by Esther, but I am now convinced that at the end of the day I will be equally attached to this new person who has come to teach and lead and console us. Her obvious love of music will also serve her well as she assumes her new role at Temple Micah.

Welcome to Rabbi Esther, Temple Micah’s new reigning queen!

6 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

We are a suspicious lot, right? Your new Rabbi will probably be terrific, but you already said that!

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change is hard, and farewells are hard, but I'm glad your new rabbi is building and furnishing her own room in your heart!

F.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I have the same difficulty with new administrators, especially principals. I am never sure that they will "get" me. My current principal is a peach.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm sure nobody could take Toby's place but maybe Esther will bring something you didn't know you were missing. She sounds lovely.

11:48 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Queen Esther... I get it. :)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

I LOVE reading/hearing about people remembering their first grade teachers. I always wonder if my students will remember me but I mostly hope that they will remember a general feeling of happiness associated with their early school experience, not so much the details.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home