Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wolftrap 2009



The good news is it didn’t rain last night as we sat out under the stars listening to Jackson Browne at Wolftrap. The bad news (lesson learned) is that people dump tickets at face value or less on the day of the concert, especially if it looks like it might rain. (File that one away as a reminder to my zealous husband who easily falls prey to scalpers.)



We arrived 45 minutes early so we could stand around waiting at the front of the crowd who were preparing for the mad dash onto the lawn so they could position their blanket in the center. (I love the guy below who definitely knew how to chill out while waiting in line.) As I lay back later listening, I realized that I would have heard the exact same thing from the side.



Our picnic would easily have stood up to the scrutiny of any gourmet cook: chicken-apple pate, homemade guacamole, Israeli couscous salad, homemade vegetarian lasagna, and a host of leftover desserts from our dinner party the night before. But the coolest thing of the evening (for me) was the inauguration of our new wine sticks that eliminate the need to balance your wine glass on a hill. Even neighboring quilts noticed and commented on them. Hill’s Kitchen, once again!



The guy half of the couple we were with and I admitted to thinking Jackson Browne was from a different race prior to last night’s concert. Obviously we were not long-time devotees. He said he recognized one song. I actually recognized 5 or 6 songs and found myself standing, swaying, clapping, and singing along with songs like “Running on Empty” and “Take it Easy.”



It was an entertaining evening. Part of the fun of going to Wolftrap is spending time with friends in a beautiful setting. Obviously a lot of other people had the same idea.

17 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

Rock me on the Water. Great song.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

BH -- You would definitely have liked this scene and the music. And you would have made a helluva picnic I'm sure. Like the little drink holders?

12:03 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

1976
Went to see Peter Frampton, America and Gary Wright. Gary Wright, the guy that did "Dreamweaver", played one of those "Keytar" things. Its like a keyboard you wear around your neck, on a guitar strap. Thats what you need, Barbara, a Keytar.

Anyone else round here like to see Barbara jammin' on a Keytar?

Anyway, like I was saying, I went to this concert and I have to say that except for "Dreamweaver" and some song about "my love is alive" which is a little creepy in a way, the music was a little poor.
It was the only show I ever went to where the people crashed the gates to get out!

But before that happened, we were making Pina Colada's on my blanket, and we were serving them in real hollowed out pineapples.
This was back in the day that you could take ice chests and chairs and guns and stuff.
The chick on the next blanket was impressed enough by the Pineapple mugs that she and I beat the crowd to the parking lot by just about an hour.
So when you ask me what I think about the Wine holders, well, I'm not sure what to say except they look like a good value, but don't rival a hollowed out pineapple.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wine sticks! That's pretty brilliant, actually!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

BH -- You come visit with your pineapple mugs and I will offer to fill them up with JUICE (the non-alcoholic kind) and take you to Wolftrap.

Steve -- I think you need a pair of wine sticks. In fact, I will send you a pair to contribute to your gourmet picnic supplies if you e-mail me your address.

3:47 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

What fun!! And wine sticks -- brilliant idea.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I hadn't thought of Jackson Browne in years until your posys.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

post, that is.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Jackson Browne runs through my college years, esp grad school, when I could be heard humming, "Running on Empty...." Wine sticks are pretty brilliant!

5:38 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

You thought JB was of a different race? He's like the whitest guy on the planet! Anyway, Wolf Trap is one of the places I miss from the DC area. But in DC in the summer, when one is planning outdoor activities, any night is a night it might rain.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- I'll bet you even know where Winslow, AZ, is located!

Kelly -- Time for planning a rendez-vous. I'm coming out to SF in early September for the trip that never happened in January. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

MC -- I am so glad I didn't insist on going to hear the NSO tonight as the rain pours down in this thunderstorm we're in. I would never have heard the end of it. I can imagine the lawn is quite empty tonight, as opposed to last night when every seat anywhere was taken! And yes, Wolftrap is a very special place.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bozoette -- Too bad you weren't there. We could have parked our wine and practiced juggling!

9:54 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Jackson Browne was and still is my all-time favorite musician. (I think I have 6 of his albums, er, uh, cd's).
I've seen him in this area about 1/2 a dozen times in the past decade or so and was still SO tempted to try and go along with you the other night (since you had that extra ticket and all).

A very poetic songwriter he is. Hope you had fun.

Gotta get the Wine Bin some of those winesticks. I think they'll sell like crazy.

10:51 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Oh, and Steve- I wanna watch you hollow out some pineapples.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- Yes, the wine bin needs to sell wine sticks! Aren't you close to Merriweather Post out there?

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Memories of going to Wolftrap with you one year. Music was great, as was the picnic. The rest........well.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- How well I remember that evening and its bizarre aftermath. Fiona Apple, not the choice of either of us.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home