Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Let's hear it for Zappos


After wearing the same pair of lace-up athletic shoes for most every day of the past 6 months, I could stand it no longer. I ventured out to Comfort One in search of shoes that could accommodate my orthotics, had good support, and didn’t look like something an 80-year-old would choose -- a hard set of requirements.

I had gone online earlier and found that Comfort One now carried a brand called Aetrex that looked promising. And sure enough, it was that group of shoes that immediately attracted me when I walked into the Old Town store. Despite the fact that my salesman was more interested in talking on his cell phone and they seemed to be out of my size in most styles, I managed to find the double-strapped Julia in black that would work well with pants or skirts in a variety of settings. (Those are my new custom Solo orthotics that cost 4 times as much as the shoes.)



I also fell in love with green Lizzy, which was nowhere to be found in my size in any store in the DC metro area.



So back online when I got home, I discovered that Zappos not only had my size, but their price was a full $30 lower than that of any of their competitors. I ordered the adorable Lizzys with the customary 4-5 day shipping, figuring they would be here by the time I got back from our road trip to Detroit next Monday.



But low and behold almost immediately I got an e-mail from Zappos saying they had significantly upgraded my shipping for who knows what reason, and miraculously the shoes appeared at my door the next day. They are probably quite impractical with their white meshy toes, but they are just so cute and such a nice shade of green.



The other thing I really like about Zappos is their policy of free shipping BOTH WAYS. So if I try on my new shoes and decide I don’t like them or they don’t fit, they can be returned at no cost to me. I call that excellent service.



Why would you want to drag into a shoe store to try to find shoes that are no longer in stock when Zappos will deliver those shoes to your doorstep the very next day and charge you less for them?

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Cute shoes! I wonder if Zappos service will change now that Amazon owns them.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That's what I was going to say - cute shoes! Zappos is my favorite place to buy shoes.

8:23 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I hear Zappos is awesome for shipping, returns, etc. Unfortunately, I always want what doesn't exist, and in this case, it was a particular pair of Puma Californias that hadn't been made for years. I couldn't find them on Zappos or anywhere else, but I look forward to a future purchase from this company.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Those Julia's look kinda like Mary Jane's.

This Zappos is something that I will have to check out. I am wondering if they carry all different shoes from many makers or just women's shoes. It would be wonderful if they had some of the items I have been looking for and unable to find.

Thanks for the information.

On a side note, it is wonderful to be able to read your blog agian. I will catch up in the next few days.

xoxo

8:28 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- Zappos has shoes for EVERYONE! Check it out here.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Internet shoe buying is the best. I've used Zappos too.

8:16 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Barb, those are cool lookin' shoes!
I like 'em!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Service will stay the same, at Zappos we love our customers, and will do anything to keep them happy. If anything we will rub off our culture onto Amazon, more so than the other way around. Just stay tuned, great customer service still to come, and it will keep getting better. Thank all of you for shopping with Zappos.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Tanya M. Cortez said...

All the shoe are nice and looking so fabulous. I love to nike shoe but as its comfort, stylish and durable. Thank you for your sharing

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home