Monday, August 03, 2009

A breakfast surprise


When we travel, my husband and I both look forward to eating breakfast out. And especially on a trip to Detroit, where we are likely to end up at the assisted living place around lunch time, a substantial breakfast is a good idea.

But I must admit I was skeptical when he suggested The Original Pancake House. I never even eat pancakes. And the name sounded reminiscent of Stuckey’s or some other such chain.

We had to drive quite a ways to even get to this restaurant on our second morning there. And one look at the decor confirmed this would be an “I told you so” restaurant.



But then I saw bacon pancakes on the menu and our waitress Kenya said I could order the junior portion, which came with 3 pancakes and an egg of my choice for $5. As a real sucker for bacon, how could I resist?



Imagine buttermilk pancakes embedded with crispy crumbled bacon pieces. The fresh squeezed OJ was equally affordable and delicious.

It was so good, in fact, that we went there again today before starting the 9-hour drive home. That kind of breakfast sticks with you for hours, making a salad for lunch quite enough.

Tomorrow it’s back to healthy food for breakfast, but I will be returning to The Original Pancake House if and when I next visit Detroit.

10 Comments:

Blogger media concepts said...

OPH! Is this the same chain that's in Bethesda and Rockville? I used to love that place, although at prime time (i.e., weekend late mornings), the wait was tremendous.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- It may well be the same chain, but I never go out for breakfast around here.

The place was packed with a line out the door or Saturday. Today we walked right in.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I'd never even heard of bacon pancakes, but will try them as soon as possible. When I'm in the right mood, those are two of my favorite breakfast foods, and hey, I put seasoned & scrambled ground turkey into my oatmeal, so I'm game! :-) Thanks for making me hungry.

F.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

The Original Pancake House is GOOOOD! But I hate the wait.

11:13 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Sounds great! Your last post was lovely. My mother earns a living by being an old age carer, and it's not for the faint hearted. I really admire what she does!

2:17 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

I love pancakes. Which is why I limit myself to having them about once a year. Otherwise, I'd be 300 pounds. Never tried the bacon kind but every kind I've tried has been deelish.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

My brother in law makes the most fantastic bacon waffles. OMG, they are awesome!!! Isn't it funny how tweaking the basic milk/egg/flour can bring about such an array of good things to eat. At the big event buffet, people were really going at the popovers. I decided to make some the other day. Not all that hard, afterall!! I found it interesting that it's the same basic combination of crepes, just tweaked abit and cooked differently! Imagine!

12:35 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

That breakfast? From heaven.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I totally love pancakes. I don't eat 'em a lot, but a place like this looks like heaven!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

There is one in Redondo Beach with the same name. The first time I went there I ordered the bacon pancakes because I wanted pancakes and a side of bacon. I am too stingy to pay $5 for a side of bacon so ordered what you got except took the 6 pancakes, reserving 3 for my grandchildren who heated them in the microwave the next day and loved them! It must be the same chain. I had the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice which is also delicious.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home