Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mystery person


I realized how very foolish it sounded when I walked in and said, “I’m meeting someone here for lunch, but I don’t know what she looks like, so I don’t know if she’s here yet.” The hostess at Restaurant Eve asked if I would like to sit in the bar (above) and wait for this mystery person to arrive/find me.

I was having lunch with a Blogger I had admired for a long time, but never met in person. It’s funny that you get those same jittery feelings you have when you go out on a first date. Is my hair OK? Lipstick on? Followed by – How will I know this person?

But then the so-put-together LA of Lacochran walked right up to me and said, “Barbara?” and I knew we would be fine.

She related her good luck of getting change and donations for the parking meter. I mentioned I was parked directly out front. And we never stopped talking for the next hour and a half. I remembered later stories I never even finished. Does this mean I’m getting senile? But there was just so much to say.

Oddly enough our conversation was that of old friends, not new acquaintances. It covered the DC Blog scene, of course, as we each observed how very young most local Bloggers are and did the “Do you know...” thing. I’m sure I’m way out there as an outlier on the age curve. She’s comfortably more in between, and depending on the day of the week, her brain age is apparently down there with the younger generation. We each did a quick run-through of our life history, hitting the highlights, and noting we have a lot in common as we both spent many years in the computer world.

Meeting LA made me realize just how much I value the people in my life. The music and books and activities can go by the wayside, but please leave me the people. I’m anxious to get back into the DC Blogs scene, not necessarily to go to the noisy happy hours, but just to connect and reconnect with people like Lacochran, who provides me with something to think about most every day and occasionally says things like “Just because your hair is looking good today...” that makes me run to the mirror and see.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Sounds like a great meeting! It's always so fun to meet other bloggers. I often feel like I've known them for years, as well.

10:11 AM  
Blogger karen said...

What fun! I think meeting bloggers is excellent, as you know! :)

11:19 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

The conversation was pretty free flowing, wasn't it? I really enjoyed our meet up. :) It's funny with bloggers... you often know some of their deeper thoughts and values based on their writing but you don't necessarily known the everyday stuff. I guess sometimes that knowledge enables cutting through the fluff.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sounds like a wonderful lunch! On Kojo today, I heard a bit about how people are getting farther and farther apart with the transition from pop culture to peep culture, with Facebook, Twitter and blogs replacing real, live interaction, but it seems that's only part of the story.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

I am so glad to be a part of the blog world...I've met wonderful people like you, Kristen and Steve! :)

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home