Saturday, August 01, 2009

Motown bargains and a fortunate memory loss


I’m not sure if it’s the skyrocketing unemployment rate or the fact that Detroit is in the midwest that makes our money go so much farther here. It makes us conscious of how high the cost of living is back home.

For $69 a night we have a palatial room at Courtyards by Marriott. It even has details like a second sink outside the bathroom so that two people don’t need to share.



After we took out dinner from Whole Foods’ salad bar last night, I asked about refrigeration and they immediately wheeled in a small refrigerator at no extra charge.



There’s a gym on the second floor and a small indoor pool on the first. The bedding is ENTIRELY changed for each set of new guests, so you don’t have the feeling of cuddling up to someone else’s comforter.

One of the few giveaways that this is not a 5-star hotel is the leaning floor lamp.



We had another day of various loop tapes with my elderly mother-in-law. But it occurred to me there is a silver lining in all this memory loss. About 10 years ago, she experienced a huge personal slight by her other son’s family that resulted in a schism, a wound that looked like it would never heal. But today she asked if M was still seeing S, the woman he has been married to for 25 years and who was the cause of all the unhappiness. She seems to have totally erased their marriage and definitely the incident that happened at their daughter’s bat mitzvah. Unfortunately a lot of good memories have also disappeared, but this is definitely one that needed to go.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear about your trip! I laughed at the top photo of your room in the Courtyards by Marriott, because my partner and I JUST stayed in a hotel in the same chain, and our room was almost identical to yours. We too found it comfortable and very pleasant (although our rate was much higher than yours...)

More seriously, I could also relate to your mother-in-law's memory loss story. How poignant! I hope the percentage of pleasant memories she retains increases over time. I recently met a relative-by-love w/Alzheimer's-related amnesia, and I've been thinking a lot about memory and its hold on us ever since.

Have you ever seen "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?" A thought-provoking movie about (among many other things) voluntary amnesia, memory and its impact on future choices, and fresh starts.

Sorry for the overly long comment! :-) Have a great rest of your trip...

F.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Every encounter I have with the elderly in my husband's family makes me think about memory. It unnerves me if someone mentions something I did or a place I visited and I can't call up the image. It's a very complex phenomenon. I will have to check out the film you mentioned as I continue to ponder memory.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Just came back from the "gym", working off the AM pancakes. The TV worked fine and the machines were mechanically fine, but none of their feedback dials seemed to function, so I have no idea how far I went on the elliptical or treadmill machines! My heart was racing, so I suppose I did what I intended to do.

Must get ready to go to a pre-wedding dinner in honor of the couple who will marry tomorrow.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Your story reminds me so much of MY mother-in-law who died 3 years ago. She lived in assisted living and suffered from Alzheimers in her last few years. The visits were bittersweet, frustrating and precious at the same time. We came to a new way of relating to her as her memory dimmed, that was not altogether depressing. Her love of music and its memory never left her and it was always a way to calm her and relate to her. It made her happier than anything else in those foggy years. I wrote about her here: http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/2006/06/life-well-lived.html

6:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Terry -- You mother-in-law obviously came from the same generation as mine. I'm sure that mine could not recall the words to any song these days. It's really sad that she grasps just how much she has forgotten and it scares her.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I used to stay at Courtyards a lot when I worked full-time. They were predictable and for the most part pleasant.

It is definitely depressed in the Midwest. I'm sure the hotel people are thrilled to see you.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The saddest part about Alzheimer's is that no one is even close to figuring out about the disease and the cure. All I can say is that it helps to do things that keep the brain active and healthy. Simple things like puzzles and brain challenges even help to slow down memory loss.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home