Wednesday, August 05, 2009

The Health Care Demise


Yesterday I had first-hand evidence of the sorry state of health care in this country. A visit to my allergist made it all too clear.

I have been taking shots to control my many allergies for decades. As much as I detest all medicines, they work so I keep taking them.

For many years my serum would be automatically refilled each time I was out with no need to see the doctor since I was experiencing no problems.

Then about 5 years ago, they instituted a yearly exam, not because it altered my allergy serum in the least, but I suspect because it provided another source of income for the doctor. It was usually perfunctory, involving listening to my lungs, a breathing test, a few questions, etc.

Recently as my serum ran out, they said I had to sign a consent form of some sort to get it refilled AND I had to schedule a visit with the doctor. I did both of those things, thinking I would show up yesterday, have my little exam, and get my shots.

But that wasn’t the way it worked. They put me in a room and said the doctor would be in to see me. No gown, no blood pressure reading, no nothing.

He came in and beckoned me to come into his office for “a chat”, offering me tea or coffee. I declined both, since I was not there for a caffeine fix, but rather to get my shots and be done with it.

This year’s “exam” consisted of 3 questions about the state of my allergies that could just as easily have been asked over the phone. The only physical contact with the doctor was a handshake upon entering and leaving after my maybe 2 minutes of “chat”. If he were to conduct even 12 such conversations an hour, I calculate his hourly income at over $1200 an hour at $105 a pop.

The real kicker was I couldn’t even get my shots because they had not made new serum since they had to wait for the doctor’s recommendation after my visit. Upon hearing this, I said out loud in the waiting room, “Are you kidding me? That “exam” was a joke!” I’m sure someone probably made a note in my chart as they labeled me a heretic.

And then it hit me that this whole experience was why we need healthcare reform. Instead of so much ass covering, doctors should be taking their lead from patients who have real symptoms.

It also occurred to me that being an allergist would be by far the cushiest job in the medical profession. He never has to see any blood, seldom gets midnight calls, and gets richer and richer as he collects all that money for serum and yearly visits from those of us who are addicted to shots.

Health care reform -- bring it on! It can only go up from here. (What do you bet my allergist is opposed to changes in the current system?!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

send this post to the Pres...

12:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Someone at the White House reads my Blog on a daily basis, but I rather doubt it's the President.

12:33 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

So you *didn't* want an exam and then when they reduced the exam to three questions that was bad, too?

*scratches head*

12:57 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LA -- I didn't want an unnecessary exam. If I'm going to pay $105 for a physician's attention (and he is not a shrink), I expect a little more than a handshake!

1:20 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

My new health insurance company (I won't use the term "health care company" since that's an oxymoron) notified me after 4 months that, starting after the 6th month, my premium will increase over 25%. Further inquiry indicates that the proposed increase has nothing to do with my age or health, but rather, "industry-wide costs."

And people are afraid to change or reform the system? I'm ready for my public option now!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SOMEthing's got to change. We've all heard about the percentage of bankruptcies caused by medical crises, mostly amongst folks who actually HAVE health insurance. I do, under an individual plan (self-employed), and the $820 dollars a month is bankrupting me, so I have to switch to an even more "catastrophic" plan, under which I could still easily go bankrupt. I've had experiences like yours; Barbara, when I was forced to go in for a visit just to renew an RX I've taken and renewed monthly for seven years. Last time it happened, I protested and they renewed it w/o my going in. Maybe you could try that next time...

F.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home