Friday, August 07, 2009

I Love My Dog


I realize my Jake is an old dog at 11, but I was not prepared for the news from his recent blood work at the vet’s this week. This was the check-up that was supposed to focus on his decreasing vision.

My husband took him in to see a vet in our practice who specializes in veterinary ophthalmology. The good news is he doesn’t have cataracts but instead a condition that many older dog get where they get a build-up of fluid that makes their eyes look somewhat opaque. While he was in, she also drew blood for some routine tests. But overall she said he looked good and was exactly the right weight.

So I was somewhat shocked yesterday when she called to give us the results of the blood test, which showed an abnormal liver enzyme count. There are several possible reasons for the liver enzyme to be elevated, but the one to be most concerned about would be a malignant tumor in his liver. He’s scheduled for a scan tomorrow to find out.

But meanwhile, he’s enjoying the company of “his boy” who has finally returned from Europe for good. He’s wolfing down his homemade food twice a day. He’s fetching his Kong every time he can find a sucker to throw it. If he’s so sick, he doesn’t yet seem to know it.

I have to hope this problem is not the worst case scenario, but rather one that can be corrected or controlled by some means.

Jake is by far the best dog I have ever had. I’m not ready to lose him!

8 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

A longtime friend is a treasure. My best to you and Jake.

10:17 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Sending good thoughts out to you and Jake.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear the unsettling news! Keep breathing as you wait for the results. It's so hard to not know. I bet Jake is happy to see his "brother!" Give him a pet and ear scritch for me, and I'm sending you a hug...

F.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I imagine there are many things that can cause an elevated liver enzyme. Keeping my fingers crossed!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Everyone -- Thanks for you concern and encouragement. I'm really hoping for the best tomorrow!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Best Wishes for Jake's health. I hope it is something relatively minor - and manageable.

11:20 PM  
Blogger karen said...

I love the photo! Let's hope Jake will be fine.. our dogs are 10 and 9 years old, and going strong, but I really hate the idea of them aging!

3:13 AM  
Blogger rachaelgking said...

I am so, so sorry. Ironically, my cat I lost growing up was also named Jake, and he was the Greatest Cat of All Time (read: acted just like a dog). Must be something about that name. I hope things turn around.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home