Thursday, May 06, 2010

Family Matters


As I’m reading a certain chapter in Olive Kitteridge (by Elizabeth Strout), I find myself thinking about how I might feel about additions to our family -- like a son-in-law or a daughter-in-law.

Olive describes the woman her only son Christopher married. She is an MD who is a real know-it-all. The day of the wedding at the party thrown at the new couple’s home, after overhearing the bride describe her new mother-in-law to her friends in not so glowing terms Olive slips into their bedroom where she shoves a piece of lingerie and a loafer into her bag and runs a black marker down the sleeve of one of her sweaters. She seems to feel no remorse and secretly hopes to drive the young doctor to distraction.

Just yesterday my daughter arrived with her boyfriend of almost 3 years whom we had never met. I wondered how I would feel about this boy who obviously has captured my daughter’s heart. I determined not to let my feelings show if they were less than positive.

Fortunately she couldn’t have chosen a nicer boy to fall in love with. He pitched right in to make dinner and to help clean up. They talk to each other with the ultimate in respect. They seem interested in what we have to say. Even though there is no engagement or wedding plan on the horizon, it’s a good feeling to know I would be happy to have him as part of our family. The thought of gaining a son-in-law is much more appealing than that of losing a daughter.

7 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

I love my son-in-law. I think it would be so hard to have your child marry someone you could not love. My parents never liked my sister's husband--well no one did. We all tried, but I am sure it showed. They ended up divorcing and we were heartbroken for my sister, but secretly relieved. It was very sad, really.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

We have a daughter-in-law that is a lovely woman, but is a bit of a stickler. We get the feeling that we never quite measure up.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I've been blessed. The people my children have chosen as partners are like added sons and daughters. I should have been forewarned when both my own mother and my future mother-in-law had reservations about my impending wedding all those years ago but I was too young and "in love" to pay attention.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Stella Jones said...

My youngest son is getting married in July and I am looking forward to the wedding. I like his intended very much. With the older two I have had to get used to girls who later went off the scene and that is hard when you have got used to them being around and formed a relationship with them.
Blessings, Star

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay -- very glad to read of the thumbs-up! :-) Wishing them much happiness, whatever path their lives takes.

F.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'm glad the introductions went well! :)

7:35 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I don't have any kids of my own, but I have plenty of thoughts about my mom's husbands, my brother-in-law and the girls my brother's dated. I try. That's all I can say. I try.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home