Monday, July 05, 2010

Excess Dog Hair


For much of the year Jake doesn’t shed his beautiful golden hair.  But when the summer reaches its hottest point, it’s as though he molts and big tufts of his fur fall out.
Today I got out the Furminator to see if I could move the process along.  As I combed through his coat with this little thing, handfuls of hair came out.  He contentedly lay on either side and let me Furminate away on his coat.
The end result was a big pile of dog hair.  I always wonder if it could ever be spun and woven into something to forever remind us of our golden lab Jake, one of the best dogs ever.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

The Furminator! What a great name for that device. Just for the hell of it I googled "dog hair art" and found this:
dog hair scarf (if I can manage to get this link thing right).
You could get someone to spin Jake's hair into yarn for a scarf, or a wall hanging or something.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

Well, Cyndy's idea sounds more like something you'd explore, Barbara. My thought was to use a pillow with a Jake photo and paw-print on it and fill it with the thinned out hair. My suggestion is not nearly as classy, however.

Sweet old Jake, no wonder he sat so still, I'll bet it felt wonderful to have his hair thinned out in this heat. He knows he looks cool, too.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His coat looks beautiful! Our dog needs the same treatment...

I absolutely love having my hair brushed or combed. if I "come back,"
perhaps it'll be as a cat or dog...

F.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Send it to the Gulf of Mexico? Hair, fur and pantyhose absorb oil and make it marginally easier to clean up... I guess that's not exactly a keepsake but you (and Jake) would be making the world a better place.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

or you could take the hair and put it out of doors where birds will find it and use it for nesting material - then whenever the birds sing, you'll be reminded of Jake

7:59 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I think a dog-hair keepsake is much nicer as an abstract idea than it would be as a concrete item. I like Pauline's suggestion, though. Birds would LOVE all that hair!

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home