Tuesday, July 06, 2010

On the road to Motown




This is my first iPad post. I can already tell you it's going to take a bit of getting used to the keypad, which is like a bigger version of a phone keypad.

I find myself wondering if this trip to bury my mother-in-law might possibly be my last visit to Motown. I don't know anyone who goes to Detroit to play tourist. Family is usually the magnet and ours is thinning out.

I felt somewhat the same way when I left Panama City after my father's funeral, since he was the last of my immediate family. In those 10 years I have been back only once to attend my high school reunion. Now I don't think I could stand to see the oil-stained beaches.

As we roll down the Ohio Turnpike, I am reminded that this is one of the a most boring stretches of road anywhere. But we definitely had the most gourmet lunch at the Ohio service plaza where we stopped, as we ate our salad with CSA beets, garbanzos, and flank steak.

More live from Motown.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

May your mother-in-law rest in peace. And you have a safe trip.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Travel safe and enjoy the time with family. Peace to all of you.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'll be in Motown myself in a month or so, on a family trip. I wish you two the best in getting through this tough time. (And have fun with the iPad. I like being able to post with my iPhone, though I much prefer the computer.)

8:36 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Thinking of you as you let go of one more person in your family. Safe journey.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending much love to you and D's family. I hope the funeral and related interactions go smoothly and meaningfully. Travel safely.

F.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home