Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Taking No Chances



Long ago I realized that realistically I could not keep an eye on every bump of pigmentation on my body.  But after 4 melanomas and several more basal cells, I am keenly aware of anything that attracts my attention.
And so I recently sensed one such place on my torso that was itching.  It was slightly darkened and felt rough to the touch.  I was pretty sure it was a keratosis of some sort, but its color seemed a little odd.
My initial call to my dermatologist of 23 years said he couldn’t see me before my trip, but one of his three children who ALL practice with him on F St. in DC could.  So I chose Alicia over Marty or Marisa, just because she had a convenient time available.  I have long held that I helped put the 3 of them through Princeton and then U of MD med school.  (And their mother is a pediatrician!)
So I met Alicia, who had all the pleasantness of her father, but fortunately is not a member of the NRA.  We joked about the fact that my politics are on the other end of the spectrum from her dad’s.  She froze my keratosis (I am good it turns out).  And I left knowing that I wouldn’t have to feel that itch any longer and wonder.
On the way out I saw lots of sample sizes of things that will pack nicely in my 22” carry-on suitcase and not raise an eyebrow in security.  I managed to walk away with a tiny Dove beauty bar, Cetaphil hydrating lotion, Neutrogena 85+ sunblock, and Helioplex daily moisturizer.
I was reminded of my longstanding fascination with miniature versions of things I use all the time.  This probably began when as a child I was traveling with my parents on the PA Turnpike and in a Howard Johnson’s vending machine for 25 cents I bought a tiny travel toothbrush and toothpaste.
I’m glad there was no cause for concern about the lesion which will soon be just smooth skin once again.  I’m also glad for an opportunity to start collecting things to pack for my trip next week!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like you're very prepared for the trip. Have a great time!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I will be away when you go and won't have computer access the last part of my trip, so - have a wonderful journey and be sure to post about the wonderful foods you eat along the way! I'll catch up with you when I return.

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad your scare turned out to be "nothing."

And I too love "sample-size" sundries. Fewer stores have them these days.

F.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home