Friday, July 30, 2010

Rediscovering Fresh Figs


The first fig of the season is always such a delicious surprise.  It’s fig season and I am ready.
About a decade ago our neighbors asked if they could plant a tiny fig tree on the boundary of our property.  I wasn’t even sure the little tree could survive a season, let alone grow into the gorgeous, prolific tree that it is today.  Of course I said yes.


After several years and despite some really bad winters, the fig tree began to produce.  By the end of the season each year, we are almost a little tired of figs because there are so many.
I just popped the last one from the cherry tomato box in my mouth.  Now I can look forward to tomorrow’s harvest.
I will need to dig out my fresh figs with fennel recipe once again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry Grant said...

I love fresh figs so much. I wish I had a fig tree. I would eat them until I popped, probably.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Fresh figs are amazing, and I don't know why we don't eat more of them in this country. In Morocco they were so popular!

My grandmother had a fig tree in her yard in Maryland. It produced so many figs that she canned them, and even then couldn't eat them all. Once she awoke to voices in the yard and found a group of Arab women picking her figs! She thought about chasing them out of her yard, but then decided she'd just let them have the figs, because she couldn't keep up with that tree's output.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Steve's story reminds me of a similar scenario when we first moved into our house years ago. There was a grape arbor in the back yard and a group of Greek ladies showed up one day and started picking grape leaves from our vine. When we asked them what they were doing they told us they came every year to pick grape leaves - and sure enough, they did!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Mmmmmm... figs.... Very nice!

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home