Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The End Game

Kate's comment to me yesterday (on her birthday) prompted me to think about issues associated with wrapping up a career, which it turns out can be just as difficult as getting started.

During my first encounter with Harvey, my brother-in-law-to-be, in 1975, he was quick to tell me that he had 6,500 work days before he could retire and that he was counting down. I made a solemn vow never to start counting down, at least now until I was under 200.

As my retirement eligibility date grew closer, I began to think about all the possibilities for life after work. But then the day came and went with no fanfare and I just kept going to work, not electing to take advantage of my new status. Basically the only thing that changed was my new-found freedom to speak my mind, not fearing any consequences, and I have done this a lot.

My original plan was to wait until our children were no longer in school, until all tuition demands had ceased. That seems to be happening next month when they both graduate.

So what am I waiting for? I just accepted a promotion which I had worked hard to earn. Anyone who knows the Federal Government well will tell you that your retirement annuity is based on your "high 3" years of salary. So it would be best if I worked for 3 more years.

Some days I say UGH! There are just so many things I want to do and not enough time to do any of them well.

My friend Kris said the other night that she was planning to retire next April and I thought longingly about how nice that would be.

I am committed to not retiring on the job, as many people tend to do. I don't ever want to be one of those employees people make excuses for. But at the same time, I have a finite amount of energy and possibly a finite amount of good health. I want to make the most of these years when I do feel like exploring new things and traveling.

Kate is absolutely right about the trickiness of ending a career.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I so don't think I'll ever be able to retire. It seems good in theory. I just think that I tend to do all the things I'd do in retirement now: traveling, photography, catching up with friends and family. Who knows if I'll have the energy or the funds when I retire?

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home